Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so far i have tried the azonic skewers, cannondale skewers, settle cromoly skewers, and a joy tech (shimano style) so far the best one, but still losens up after a ride or two. The others losen up multiple times during a 15- 20 mile ride. all of them loosen up on me when i am riding my bike which is cannondale jekyll with an all mountain 1 fork. Has any one else had problems like this with these skewers? to me it seems little odd that am starting to collect skewers because they are all crap so far. If I bought some hope steel skewers would these be the last addition to my collection and solve my problem for good ?

·
ride hard take risks
25,422 Posts
Worst luck i had with skewers i finally found a washer that didnt belong, cant remember where it was though. My back wheel came loose about every 3rd ride. Shimano is supposted to be 1 of the best.

·
Glad to Be Alive
42,968 Posts
all DH'ers and FR'ers should switch to through axles period

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
iloveclimbinghills said:
so far i have tried the azonic skewers, cannondale skewers, settle cromoly skewers, and a joy tech (shimano style) so far the best one, but still losens up after a ride or two. The others losen up multiple times during a 15- 20 mile ride. all of them loosen up on me when i am riding my bike which is cannondale jekyll with an all mountain 1 fork. Has any one else had problems like this with these skewers? to me it seems little odd that am starting to collect skewers because they are all crap so far. If I bought some hope steel skewers would these be the last addition to my collection and solve my problem for good ?
well if its front and rear both loosening up its you not the skewers. how about some pix of the skewers on your bike? i bet i can help you if you show me how you have them tightened and give me an explaination of your procedure for setting them up.
i mean really skewers never really get loose on a trail bike like a jekyll unless its user error.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The front loosens up before the rear, but rear losens up first with the joy tech up front. I'm going to try some shimanos i swaped off my dads bike. Just wonding if any one else had problems with the none shimano type skewers listed above. As far as tightening the skewers they are tightened pointing up. so far its
1. joy tech
2. cannondale/settle
3 azonic - ( they came with my outlaw wheels) my front wheel needed to be tighted 4 times during a 15 mile ride. I thought i might endup losing my wheel.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
iloveclimbinghills said:
The front loosens up before the rear, but rear losens up first with the joy tech up front. I'm going to try some shimanos i swaped off my dads bike. Just wonding if any one else had problems with the none shimano type skewers listed above. As far as tightening the skewers they are tightened pointing up. so far its
1. joy tech
2. cannondale/settle
3 azonic - ( they came with my outlaw wheels) my front wheel needed to be tighted 4 times during a 15 mile ride. I thought i might endup losing my wheel.
well try this:
1. check your wheel bearings/cone adjustments. with your wheel tightened properly, grab the rim and try to move side to side. it should have no play. play means the bearings are out of adjustment OR your qr is not tightened properly.
2. measure your frame and fork dropouts. fork should be 110mm and rear should be 135mm apart.
3. compare your idea of a tight skewer to another persons bike that you have never touched. just from what your telling me i feel your not tightening them properly. the skewer should not just be tightened "up" as you describe. they need to be closed completely and not set up against the frame or fork.

when i tighten qr's here is my procedure:
1. take bike off stand and place on ground.
2. loosen qr and reset wheel.
3. turn the knob on the skewer opposite the qr lever until its tight. try to close the qr lever. make sure that the angle you choose lets the qr close completely (a qr needs to be tightened a little past 90 degrees).
4. usually thats a little too tight so i back off the knob slightly and try again.
5. spin the wheel. if its way tight the bearings will not roll smooth.
6. with index finger and thumb try to move rim side to side. play indicates too loose a qr OR a wheel that needs a bearing adjustment.

trust me although skewers are a basic bike part they are often not adjusted properly. thats why i ask that you tell us exactly how you tighten them and show us a pic of how they look on your bike. your not really giving enough info to fix the problem.
as far as the skewers being a problem i doubt it. its you or the hubs. i have used all the skewers you mentioned plus steel bolt ons, etc. only one front skewer ever loosened up me and it was from dirt jumping multiple sessions without checking it (never freeride/dj on unchecked skewers). i have never loosened one on a trail ride.

because i have heard things about azonic outlaw wheel bearings it could be shot bearings.
how old are the wheels? have you ever adjusted the cones? this is just a thought i still have never seen a qr loosen up from bearing issues but it can happen.

·
Registered
701 Posts
skewers

I quick fix would be the skewers with out a quick release.I've used these for years.Partly as an anti theift thing and you can't get the quick releae lever caught up on anything.You use an allen wrench to nut it down.I got an old secret 8 sided little ratchet for mine.I forgot the name of these things.

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
shimano skewers have worked well for me, although i think one of the best inventions was the QR 20mm thru axle

·
pwn3rator
3,640 Posts
i hate skewers so i decide to get bolt on axels. but i didn't have enough money so i through my skewers away welded my wheels on. it works great except when i get a flat...

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
iloveclimbinghills said:
The azonic outlaws are brand new. I tighted the qr conversion thing before i put it on my bike. As far as pictures go ill get some tomarrow
how does this setup work? it sounds like the qr conversion is the problem. give us the point by point breakdown of how you setup the wheel/converter/qr. i bet someone here with specific outlaw experience can help. i have never used the axle conversion setups on your wheels or mavic's.

·
Cynical Bystander
6,770 Posts
dream4est said:
how does this setup work? it sounds like the qr conversion is the problem. give us the point by point breakdown of how you setup the wheel/converter/qr. i bet someone here with specific outlaw experience can help. i have never used the axle conversion setups on your wheels or mavic's.
The QR conversion on the Outlaws is basically a 20mm tube that slides through the 20mm axle area (the spacers on either side for a 20mm setup come straight off) with endlet things that have holes the side of QR axles screwing into either end.

Sounds to me like user error...

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
COmtbiker12 said:
The QR conversion on the Outlaws is basically a 20mm tube that slides through the 20mm axle area (the spacers on either side for a 20mm setup come straight off) with endlet things that have holes the side of QR axles screwing into either end.

Sounds to me like user error...
well thats what i thought (sounds similar to the marz qr20mm setup). its either the hubs or the user. and those hubs sound pretty simple.

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
dream4est said:
well thats what i thought (sounds similar to the marz qr20mm setup). its either the hubs or the user. and those hubs sound pretty simple.
\

is it the actual axel taht is comming loose? if it is tehn are u running 8 inch discs on ur brakes, qr axels and 8inch discs dont mix, i had them on my bike when i first got it and there was so much power from the disc that it loosend the axel offen.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
cough-loctite-cough

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
is it the actual axel taht is comming loose? if it is tehn are u running 8 inch discs on ur brakes, qr axels and 8inch discs dont mix, i had them on my bike when i first got it and there was so much power from the disc that it loosend the axel offen.

thats probably it after jamming on the brake multiple times the crappier none shimano skewers losen up.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts