Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
let freedom ring!
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here's the deal!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am looking at a Marzocchi AM 1 for $499 @ Greenfish or the Z1 for $399, both 06's.

The AM 1 is quick release and the Z1 is 20mm through axle.

So, do I really need the 20mm? If I go that route then I would need to pick up a wheelset, been looking at the Azonic outlaw $224 at Beyond bikes.

I don't plan on doing any huge jumps or drops so I am not sure I should spend the money for a new wheelset. But I heard the 20mm is way stiffer than QR.

All opinions welcome.

·
Formerly DMR For Life
989 Posts
as far as i'm concerned anyone that is pushing the 200lb mark needs the stiffness of 20mm even if you don't go huge. The stiffness of 20mm I would think would be noticed most in high speed rock gardens and the like IMO

DMR

·
Premium Member
10,683 Posts
Yep, a hard one, I went to a 20mm on my Pike, did mean getting a new wheel set, good excuse anyway.............. But in all seriousness, love the stiffness of the 20mm axle. Stiffer than a honey mooners chopper................ AM1 is a great fork, fullstop........... What type of riding do you do...........be easier to give you our useless opinions..LOL

·
let freedom ring!
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
type of riding?

I ride alot of rock formations on a trail we have here, real techy. I am just learning to do drops and jumps. I dont see myself ever doing anything huge. Maybe 3-4 foot drops and 4-5 foot gaps. Dont want to push it any bigger than that. I am getting old and have a house full of girls I am responsible for.

·
Premium Member
10,683 Posts
Get Lost said:
I ride alot of rock formations on a trail we have here, real techy. I am just learning to do drops and jumps. I dont see myself ever doing anything huge. Maybe 3-4 foot drops and 4-5 foot gaps. Dont want to push it any bigger than that. I am getting old and have a house full of girls I am responsible for.
20mm for sure...............:thumbsup:

·
No Gansta Lean here.
1,030 Posts
Yep...I'm right there with you on that one...

Get Lost said:
I'm a few days over a year older than you and have two little girls of my own. (and one older girl, my wife, to care for also as I'm the main breadwinner in the household.)

I ride the rocks and roots out here in PA. Have a riding buddy who recently built up a hardcore trail/all mtn. rig and he made the jump to 20mm. Long story short? He'll never go back. Said he never realized how much twisting, etc. he had before experiencing the 20mm.
I ride a "classic" hardtail rig currently. Love it. It's set up as burly as it can be & is awesome for the techy trails around here. But, with riding time getting more and more precious all of the time, my buddy has me convinced that building up something "up to date" and dual susp is the way to go. I go as big as I can. I have similar limitations as to what you mentioned. But, am edge'ing toward the all mtn setup so that I don't pay for my less frequent riding in soreness and "less fun factor" from getting beat up riding my old rig. (Which I will justify "cheating" on it with a new dually by turning it into a dedicated singlespeed.) Not that I don't find riding it fun. Just want to max my fun factor with the limited riding time that I have. If I could ride more, thus being in better shape/less sore, etc. after a ride, I'd probably never switch from my EWR just for the sake of being out on the trails all of the time on something old school.
Thanks for listening to the above "book" that I wrote. Just feelin' exactly where you are at in life. Wouldn't trade it for the world though. Just requires adjustments in other areas. (Like justification for a brand new rig!)
I'd go 20mm. It's definitely where I'm heading!

·
Registered
6,852 Posts
Also, the Z1SL has better damping (RC2) than the All Mtn 1 (TST), so put the $100 towards the wheels and be happy.

Alternatively, you could get a Pike for $400-500, which has the Maxle 20mm (so you don't need tools to remove the front wheel).

·
Just roll it......
7,621 Posts
mrpercussive said:
thats the point... :thumbsup:
What's the point again? The maxle is on the pike's, lyriks, totem's and domains. I didn't see him say anything about a Rock Shox product, so I'm likely confused....

Get Lost. I agree with the 20mm comments above. It's the shizzle. Buy the fork for the direction you're heading, not what you can ride today.

If you want to build a new wheel that is compatible for QR or 20mm, you could get a Hope Pro II hub or the Outlaws.

Cheers,
EBX

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.