Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
I've got a Stiffee
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where can I get a quick release for my '04 Super T. I have to pack my BigHit into my trunk and a quick release would make my life much easier. Thanks

·
Banned
1,608 Posts
FXRob said:
Where can I get a quick release for my '04 Super T. I have to pack my BigHit into my trunk and a quick release would make my life much easier. Thanks
What are you talking about... 20mm QR...?

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
I thought those came with a QR20.

FXRob said:
I initially cursed the QR20 on my Z150, but after I disregarded Zoke's instructions on the wheel installation order, mine has operated flawlessly.

·
I've got a Stiffee
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes I'm talking about the 20mm quick release through the axle. It has the 6mm bolt axle safety clamps on the bottom of each side which are easy enough....but a quick release axle would make things quicker. Are they not as good as the regular axles...not as secure?

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
Well, in my opinion...

FXRob said:
Found one at Bikeman for $21.95.....so any other opinions on the QR axle...do they suck that much?
Marzocchi describes the wrong order of wheel installation in their manual. I work at a shop, and we started seeing some of these problems with bent/broke fasteners and flaps that wouldn't stay clamped. People having problems with the flaps securing properly have overtightened them to the point of stripping, bending, or snapping the fasteners. When we started setting the clamp and flap tension first, before closing the axle QR...no more problem. I have a couple of these forks and had even started using zip-ties to keep the flaps from opening. With the QR axle in place but not tightened, I now secure the clamps and flaps with moderate pressure and then securely close the QR on the axle. This seems to assist in keeping the flaps and clamps where they should be without having to overtighten them. The clamps and flaps do not grip the axle hard enough to keep the QR from securely taking up clearance at the hub/fork interface when you close the QR with the flaps in place. It's safe, there's no play, and we haven't had a flap loosen since. It's been great when there have been a group of us and you have to remove the front wheel to mount it in a rack or tray--using a Hurricane adapter of course.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.