Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My front quick release started to come undone.

First up a moderate hill, and moderate downhill.

Then on a rough downhill.

The wheelset has about 5000 km on it.

I set the quick release with about the same tension as always.

The wheel is getting a bit rough.

How can this part wear out?

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It was bought before November 2005 so is not included in the recall.

The Hub is also not on the list.

I am replacing wheelset with a Mavic crossmax sl.

But why does the quick release not hold or does this just not happen.

Maybe shimano nees a bigger recall??

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
Can't say any Shimano qr's I've had have ever loosened on their own, after many more miles (or kms) than you've got. The phrase in your post that bothers me somewhat is that you tighten them as you always have; how much is that? If you're tightening them properly and they loosen on their own perhaps you've got a not so good, or worn, set and need to replace them.

·
Registered
751 Posts
that's what i was thinking too. maybe you're not tightening it properly in the first place, though i have no explanation for why it wouldn't be noticed until now. are you hitting newer, maybe more challenging trails?

i believe the rule is to tighten the QR so that you start to feel resistance when the lever is parallel to the ground. from there you should need to apply steady, even pressure with your palm to engage it all the way.

good luck with figuring out the problem. i've seen two REALLY horrific crashes in my life. one was from a snapped handlebar, and the other was from a quick release that was loose...

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I did get it inspected lbs said it looked wore out.

Still don't get how or why.

I was setting with the resistance to help set the bearing and again it was working LBS set it up pretty close to me.

Is it possibly that the internal pivot bolt frets and allows more vibration on a tougher trail, works for me. Still when tighten it is tight??

Anyway mounted the crossmax SL.

Gained 2.5 km on my downhill over old wheel and it feels great.

·
Thread Killer
771 Posts
bump, had an issue with the QR on my 2006 gary fisher this weekend...the recall info has been taken down from shimano's site, so i'm not sure if my qr is covered or not. is there anybody i can contact about it, or is there another site with recall information?

edit:
found a list, doesn't look like my qr is on there...should i take it in to the lbs and see what's up?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.