Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my 06 specialized fsr xc comp seat clamp there is a black plastic piece shim between the metal parts I must have over tightend and caused it to crack can I remove this piece and go metal to metal the local shop says I have to buy a new clamp???

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
Firemedic85 said:
On my 06 specialized fsr xc comp seat clamp there is a black plastic piece shim between the metal parts I must have over tightend and caused it to crack can I remove this piece and go metal to metal the local shop says I have to buy a new clamp???
There's no way that you should be able to break a seatpost clamp. Tell your LBS that it should be covered under warranty. IT's either a poor design or it was faulty to begin with.

·
Samsonite Tester
3,993 Posts
Specialized uses house brand cheapos where they can. Try a Hope or Salsa clamp for longevity and quality.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Blue Shorts said:
There's no way that you should be able to break a seatpost clamp. Tell your LBS that it should be covered under warranty. IT's either a poor design or it was faulty to begin with.

On the contrary, cheap OEM products like the QR clamp frequently break and need to be replaced by better aftermarket products. Specialized builds a great bike but, in order to keep price points low they have to cut costs somewhere and a seatpost clamp seems as good a place to go cheap as any.

Pick up a Salsa or Hope QR clamp and you'll literally never have problems again.

·
Samsonite Tester
3,993 Posts
CranxOC said:
On the contrary, cheap OEM products like the QR clamp frequently break and need to be replaced by better aftermarket products. Specialized builds a great bike but, in order to keep price points low they have to cut costs somewhere and a seatpost clamp seems as good a place to go cheap as any.

Pick up a Salsa or Hope QR clamp and you'll literally never have problems again.
Echo echo echo .....

·
right behind ya
183 Posts
Evel Knievel said:
Specialized uses house brand cheapos where they can. Try a Hope or Salsa clamp for longevity and quality.
used a bunch of clamps for different rigs over the years and no are better than hope (IMO)- even salsa

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
CranxOC said:

I should have phrased it better. I meant that the seatpost collar should have been strong enough so that it wouldn't break. It obviously wasn't. Specialized should replace it whether or not the user buys a Hope or other clamp.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts