Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering a GF 29er and I'm having some issues on whether it will hold up to my weight . I am 6'5", 295 lbs. and the salesman at my LBS says it will hold up, no problem. I don't do any drops, mostly just trails with logs and roots. Does anyone have any ideas? I have been looking at a GF fs 293 '05 . Would this work for me? I hate to spend the cash and continually have to upgrade/replace parts.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I think it should be fine. With so many new higher volume tires out I would put some bigger tires to help the rim life. I would think that would be the weak point.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks m-dub, everything that I've read on the 29er post here, really sway me toward the 29er. What kind of tires would you suggest? I am relatively new to all of this having just started riding last year.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
To be honest im not a 29er guy. I ride with several guys on them and have ridden quite a few. People rollin 29's swear by them and others are pure anti big wheels ( usally never tried them). I believe they are here to stay and for someone your height it would be a good choice. Im 6'2" and still perfer 26 for the snappy (BMX) feel. I have a trials background and just perfer the smaller wheel feel and havent out grown jumping every thing I can even on a xc ride or 24 hour race The 29ers are not really ment for that style of riding. The few I road roll like crazy and felt good. The bigest complant from my buddies was small tires and tons have come out this year. I would cruz the 29er board for tire options, but I would look at the Kenda nevegal or any of the WTB line. It seams as though every region has its tire of choice.

·
Registered
272 Posts
organek said:
I'm considering a GF 29er and I'm having some issues on whether it will hold up to my weight . I am 6'5", 295 lbs. and the salesman at my LBS says it will hold up, no problem. I don't do any drops, mostly just trails with logs and roots. Does anyone have any ideas? I have been looking at a GF fs 293 '05 . Would this work for me? I hate to spend the cash and continually have to upgrade/replace parts.
While I do think the bike will be fine, you should be mentally (and financially) prepared to replace parts. You will be harder on the wheels, shocks, drivetrain, etc than someone who is 200lbs. Example, I expect you chain life to be reduced because it's under more tension. It also depends on how often and what conditions you'll ride in, but I would expect you to have to replace things at a higher rate.

Also, just generally, if you ride a lot, you will replace parts. There's no getting around that. Things break, get worn down. It's life. :)

GL,
-don

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Blehargh is right in that things wear out. I dont think the bike your looking at will wear any faster that any other bike.The best thing about worn out parts is just that "worn out" as in you rode so much that they need to be replaced. As you ride more and more and get fitter and healthier its a little price for a better life. I dont ***** when I have to replace chain rings or tires because it means Im getting my moneys worth and riding:) just my little rant. What ever you chose to buy just make sure it makes you want to ride ( proper fit, feel). A bike will last forever hanging in the garage.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Not as heavy as you, but...

don't be scared off. The point about the high-volume tires is a good one. I think a lot of the Fishers come with Bontrager Jones XRs. I have not ridden these, but they've got pretty good volume to them. I've tried both Exis and Ignitors in various combinations (I prefer the slightly smaller Ignitor), and sticking an Exi or anything larger in the back could be tight -- newer frames might have a bit more clearance, but my '05 is tight. For what it's worth, I'm 240lbs. I ride cross country trails, and while I try to avoid abusive lines, I am not what I would consider a finesse rider. I try to keep my wheels on the ground (i.e.- no big jumps, drops, etc.). I've got a Montare with upgraded wheels and fork. My bike came with a Superstock wheelset (I use these for road riding, but didn't trust them for trails) and a light-duty Manitou fork. I've been running 36 hole XT/Rhynos, and this set-up feels pretty solid. Clearly you'll be carrying more weight on your bike, but if you get a well-built wheelset I expect it will hold up well for you. One disclaimer: I have never ridden a full-suspension, Fisher or otherwise, so I have no idea how the linkage, etc. will hold up.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info. I posted on the 29er page and got some good stuff on frame breakage near the shock and considering that I can't inspect the bike and it is used I think it would be wise to let it go. I'm new to this sport and would like to know what other options I have as far as bikes for big people.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I think most new bikes are going to fine. Going with a Fisher gives you a great warranty so I wouldnt worry about frame cracks. They will just give you a new one ( in most cases). Stay away from Race bikes and steer more towards a trail bike ( just a little more stout). If $ isnt a option Ventana makes a 29 that can handle anyone. Some may say go steel hard tail but my feeling on that is if there isnt suspention to give then wheels and seatposts take all the load and you have to compensate with really heavy parts to hold up.Shock presures may be high but its worth it. Being your new to the game I would go with a bike with a good warranty from a local shop, spend what is in your budget and ride it. Dont get to caught up in "you need this or that" as we are all different. you may ride it and never have a problem. Im 200lbs and ride hard, large drops for xc bikes (5' ish) and jump alot. In 15years of riding/racing I have yet to break a frame. My 145 lb riding buddy as broken 3 in 2 years and his tires never leave the ground. I know we all loose sleep over new bike purchases but you should be fine on most any new 29er. Down the road things may need replacing (or not) its all part of the game:) Dont get to caught up details as they may change as you ride more.

·
Registered
272 Posts
m-dub said:
I think most new bikes are going to fine. Going with a Fisher gives you a great warranty so I wouldnt worry about frame cracks. They will just give you a new one ( in most cases). Stay away from Race bikes and steer more towards a trail bike ( just a little more stout). If $ isnt a option Ventana makes a 29 that can handle anyone. Some may say go steel hard tail but my feeling on that is if there isnt suspention to give then wheels and seatposts take all the load and you have to compensate with really heavy parts to hold up.Shock presures may be high but its worth it. Being your new to the game I would go with a bike with a good warranty from a local shop, spend what is in your budget and ride it. Dont get to caught up in "you need this or that" as we are all different. you may ride it and never have a problem. Im 200lbs and ride hard, large drops for xc bikes (5' ish) and jump alot. In 15years of riding/racing I have yet to break a frame. My 145 lb riding buddy as broken 3 in 2 years and his tires never leave the ground. I know we all loose sleep over new bike purchases but you should be fine on most any new 29er. Down the road things may need replacing (or not) its all part of the game:) Dont get to caught up details as they may change as you ride more.
I'll back m-dub out on this one. Pick your budget, buy a bike from a good manufacturer and a bike shop you trust. Go ride. Especially if you don't already have a bike - you could be out riding! :)

GL,
-don

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.