Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys sorry if it’s been done to death but I’m struggling with the search feature. I’m just curious as to why the 9.7 uses NX + GX Eagle parts while the 8 uses only GX, is there a noticeable difference? (I’ve got my heart set on a clearance 9.7)

Thanks again!

·
Community Manager at Trek
592 Posts
Hey guys sorry if it's been done to death but I'm struggling with the search feature. I'm just curious as to why the 9.7 uses NX + GX Eagle parts while the 8 uses only GX, is there a noticeable difference? (I've got my heart set on a clearance 9.7)

Thanks again!
Good question! The 9.7 is meant to be a lower priced option in the lineup for putting a rider on a carbon frame. The lower price point compared to the 9.8 changes with the groupset and the stays.

As for a noticable difference, I think it depends on your riding knowledge. For a new rider, the difference to NX to GX wouldn't be huge. But for an experienced rider, you certainly feel the difference. A simple upgrade for the 9.7 would be to upgrade the shifter from NX to GX to pair with your GX rear derailleur. The NX cassette is a little heavier, but it's cost effective compared to a pricey GX cassette, but it uses a Shimano freehub vs a SRAM XD driver.

·
Registered
662 Posts
The reason the 9.7 has nx/gx mix is to hit a price point while using a carbon main triangle. The 8 is aluminum and less expensive to make the frame so roughly the same price point by putting more GX on it.

NX is heavy but it shifts ok. It's pretty durable. The biggest weight difference is in the cassette which is close to 1/2lb heavier than GX cassette. The biggest problem is they have to change the driver on the rear hub if you want to upgrade to GX- which isn't hard, it's just another expense. All the NX components will work interchangeably with GX (or any other eagle drivetrain) except for the driver issue.

It's a good bike as it sits and the frame is upgrade worthy if you feel the urge.

***ah, Mitch beat me to some of that. cheers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.