Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
someone wanted me to ask what is the correct chainline for 5 Spot setup
numbers were mentioned approx 46, 47, etc.?

I just ride, but appreciate the info I can pass on to the builder

thanks a bunch!

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
Generally the lower the number, the better. Once you creep up over 50, things can get bad. Measure the distance from the center (of the front) of the seat tube to the center of the middle chainring in mm. This is the chainline distance (check the chainline definition at Sheldonbrown.com if you are confused). My bikes are sporting chainlines at about 51mm since I have chainguides sandwitched between the drive-side bb cup and the bb shell. Otherwise they would be about 49mm.

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks man

tscheezy said:
Generally the lower the number, the better. Once you creep up over 50, things can get bad. Measure the distance from the center (of the front) of the seat tube to the center of the middle chainring in mm. This is the chainline distance (check the chainline definition at Sheldonbrown.com if you are confused). My bikes are sporting chainlines at about 51mm since I have chainguides sandwitched between the drive-side bb cup and the bb shell. Otherwise they would be about 49mm.
Thank you very much, I will tell the builder.
Hey I think my friend Nels met you in S. Utah.
Anyway, I decided to build up this 5 Spot, although I kind of would like the 6 Pack/RFX,
and, hmm am on the fence about it.....

·
beer is good
533 Posts
Zirk

If you have trouble guessing where the center of that tube is
you can also measure your chainline from the zirk in the lower pivot :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.