Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike already has the front and rear mounts for disc, however my wheels are rim brakes only, question is, can i just buy disc-hubs and put them in the wheels? As opposed to buying whole new wheelset?

Also, can i use any size rotor in the front? Or is there a size limit on them based upon the fork you have?
Thanks!

·
~Disc~Golf~
16,491 Posts
You might be able to 'get by' with just hubs, but chances are you're going to need new spokes as well.
Flange diameters vary and a disc-hub is going to have a narrower flange offset than a non-disc as well - meaning shorter spokes (disc side) even if the flange diameters were the same.

As far as rotor size, refer to the fork manufacture's recommendation

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so no one has had success doing this? Not sure where i would find the forks recommendation, they came with the bike and dont see such a spec sheet.

·
EDR
10,048 Posts
so no one has had success doing this?
I'm sure thousands of people have had success. Run the numbers though, it likely makes more sense to sell your wheelset and buy a complete new wheelset with the hubs of your choice. XT hubs+spokes+shop labor adds up quick. All that and the hoop may not be salvageable.

Not sure where i would find the forks recommendation
...Here?

·
~Disc~Golf~
16,491 Posts
Herm99 said:
so no one has had success doing this? Not sure where i would find the forks recommendation, they came with the bike and dont see such a spec sheet.
I've had fine success...just tellin you what to look out for...
Eat, Drink and Drink some more is on to something tho, a complete wheelset can often be had cheaper than trying to rebuild something (ONLY rebuild if you: do it yourself, know what you want and know how)

As far as forks go...do ya want it 'fork-fed' to ya?
we can't even do that since you never said what fork you have...

·
Drunken fool
228 Posts
You can pick up a disc wheelset online for 120-150 or so. How big are you and what type of riding you do will help to dictate what size rotor you run up front. 160/160mm or 180/160mm are popular front/rear rotor combos.

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
"Also, can i use any size rotor in the front? Or is there a size limit on them based upon the fork you have?"

Yes there is a limit, and as the others have said, it is usually stated by the manufacturer of the fork. If it is an entry level OEM Suntour, Insync, RST fork or the like, then you are correct, specs of that type are not readily available for them. You'll need to stick with a 160mm rotor. Those types of forks are usually designed to handle at least that much. Anything larger would be risky though. If you have a Rock Shox, Manitou, Marzocchi, etc., then the spec for the model fork that you have is likely available, and the spec for the Aftermarket model of the same fork with respect to rotor size limits would be the same. As an example the max rotor spec for a Rock Shox Dart 2 160mm for the Aftermarket fork, it is the same for the OE version of the fork as well.

So, what fork do you have?

As for the wheels, The others are also correct. It is likely to be less expensive to get a new wheelset than it will be to get your current wheels rebuilt with disc hubs alone. Going from a nondisc hub to a disc hub will require new spokes as the lengths required will be different. So you are looking at about $.90 each for a black stainless steel spoke, that's $57 just for spokes. Then you are looking at hubs. Shimano XT 756 six bolt hubs run about $49 for the front and $60 for the rear for a total of $109. That puts you a $166, and we haven't even added in the labor to do the rebuild yet. However if you check out this complete wheelset, you'll see it will cost you less than hubs and spokes! http://www.bicyclewheelwarehouse.com/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=45 . And if you want an even better wheelset, just check out what you LBS would charge you to do the work and add that to your wheel budget.

Your choice of course, but the least expensive way to go would be a complete wheelset. :thumbsup:

Good Dirt

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks guys, reason i didn't include the type of fork is because i'm planning on changing the fork out next month. Right now i have a RST Gilla T8, which is a pretty crappy fork IMO. I'm picking up a Rock shox tora next month, i imagine their is more info available on that fork. I couldn't find much info on my factory rst fork.

wheelfreak to answer your question; i'm about 5'8, 155. So i dont think i need anything real narly. Been checking out that wheelwarehouse site and a few others, looks like i might just pick up a wheelset instead. Thanks for everyones replies.

·
Never enough time to ride
1,575 Posts
You should be good to go....

Max recommended rotor size for the the Tora is 210mm. So anything from a standard 203 down should be good. I'm not sure about the RST. They are crappy forks, but they are considerably more stout than many of the low end entry level forks that are coming out of Suntour and other companies lately. I'd say limit your self to a 180mm rotor max on the RST if you're only going to be using it for a month or two. Stick with a 160mm if you are going to be using it longer. With the actual "recomended" maximum being unknown, it's better to be safe than sorry.

Good Dirt

·
Super Moderator
6,776 Posts
You got lots of money and time to burn? Buy disc hubs...

·
EDR
10,048 Posts
highdelll said:
^^^ that's a great budget set :thumbsup:
$95...what??!!
Not sure how you could ever beat that price. OP, if your on a budget I'd jump on this deal. You could probably sell your wheelset for the same price, or at least 50 bucks on the quick.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts