Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok..the last couple years or so i have really been concentrating pretty hard on bike trials..once in the blue moon i will take my bike up to jungle habitat and practice sidehops and pedalkicks on the rocks there, some really great natural terrain..

i also boulder, and talking to a fellow climber recently he told me of a cave he had heard about at jungle habitat in NJ. it surprised me cause though i am not totally familiar with all the paths and trails of the park i didnt think there was any cave there..

have any of you guys, in your travels there, noticed anyone climbing, or walking with a crash pad on their back? or possibly even noticed a cave?? or know of an area where there *might* be something resembling a cave?

lol..any help much appreciated gents

·
KingBean
49 Posts
I am not aware of any caves,but maybe the Jorba guys will chime in.
now i am interested to know where is this area you describe.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
lazymonkey said:
or possibly even noticed a cave?? or know of an area where there *might* be something resembling a cave?

wild cat ridge wma has a bat cave, but its gated

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
looks like it could be a pretty GNAR trials area too...dont worry...i dont know any other trials guys to swarm the spot! lol i think theres probably like 50 total riders in the USA...definitely well under 100...

any other steep/ugly sections that look like they may be fun on a trials bike?

·
lotto baby
553 Posts
lazymonkey said:
i also boulder, and talking to a fellow climber recently he told me of a cave he had heard about at jungle habitat in NJ. it surprised me cause though i am not totally familiar with all the paths and trails of the park i didnt think there was any cave there..

have any of you guys, in your travels there, noticed anyone climbing, or walking with a crash pad on their back? or possibly even noticed a cave?? or know of an area where there *might* be something resembling a cave?

i know of a cave at wildcat ridge besides the grated one jkm posted. there is some bouldering to be had at it, but like most caves, the moisture changes and the temp changes at the mouth really beat up on the rock around the opening, so its pretty poor quality rock, at least at the spot i'm thinking off. choss city.

take a hike up the four birds trail in the rockaway area and do some exploring with the crash pad. i think you'll be happy what you come across if you go a little off trail along most of the trail. go before the leaves pop - it'll be tough to see some of the available stuff that's just off trail as it is. there's some really clean rock in that area, and some fun technical slabs that are in the V1 - V2 range. everything i hit was in the V0 - V4 with potential for maybe a V5/6 for the taller stuff that i wouldn't hit solo the last time i was there.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
around the 1:25/1:30 mark there is something resembling a manmade cave...i wonder if thats what this guy was talking about? maybe some kinda shotcreted type deal like the fence? except it is climbable? or i really might just be losing it..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
clark thats gotta be the cave i heard about bro! any hints on finding it? you could pm it to me if you want.. i owe you one man!!

four birds trail sounds sick..i have some good beta on places near me on the northern NJ border if you ever wanted to get out sometime...i climb alone too mostly haha

·
lotto baby
553 Posts
lazymonkey said:
clark thats gotta be the cave i heard about bro! any hints on finding it? you could pm it to me if you want.. i owe you one man!!

four birds trail sounds sick..i have some good beta on places near me on the northern NJ border if you ever wanted to get out sometime...i climb alone too mostly haha
i gotta dig up my old hiking maps... if i still have them. i charted a bunch of stuff about 10 years ago, but when i go up, i usually go by memory. i'll post them if i find them, and if i can't find them, i'll try to find some time for a bouldering sesh and take you up there.

·
Registered
34 Posts
lazymonkey said:
around the 1:25/1:30 mark there is something resembling a manmade cave...i wonder if thats what this guy was talking about? maybe some kinda shotcreted type deal like the fence? except it is climbable? or i really might just be losing it..
wishing thinking? The pciture just after the one youy are referring to is a different angle of the same "thing". Appears to be a hut of some sorts, but not a cave. Sorry.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.