Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know why Shimano doesn't put numerical indicators on most of there trigger shifters? From Deore to XT all seem to have the 3 segregated window display and I don't think XTR has any indicators at all. I was just interested whether anyone had any theories about the reason why.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
Because there's no reason to have numbers. The number itself means little if you don't know what size chainring or cog you're running; if you need an indicator at all just the approximate position should tell you what you need to know. YMMV.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
It’s tidier, lighter, less complicated, leaves you with less things to break, you don’t really need a gear indicator and Sram doesn’t use gear indicators on the higher models either. Most riders know roughly what gears they’re in anyway…

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
I can't remember the last time I actually looked down at my shifters to check what gear I was in. I got them on my SRAM shifters but never even bother to look...generally its way more important that I'm looking at the trail ahead of me. I just shift into the gear I need...but I guess for beginner riders maybe it helps. Though my first mountain bike had top mounts without numbers and seemed to do fine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.