Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Came across the BD Deal and after reading a lot on the forums, I am going for it as my first bike.

Though I am not sure, what does the no. 21M stands for?

I am 6'1, 36" inseam, 190 lbs. I test rode few bikes in the local shop and I felt 21.5" frame Trek Bike with 29" wheels was the right for me. I tried 23, and with lower seat height, it came close to 21.5, hard to chose.

Now chosing the Gravity bike, only 1 option is left there, 21M. In the geometry chart, its says, effective top tube is 23.62" and standover is 32.1".

So is it a 21" frame bike or 23"? Looking at standover, I think this will be a good fit for me like that Trek 21" bike. Does that sound logical?
Your opinion will help. Thank you.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Came across the BD Deal and after reading a lot on the forums, I am going for it as my first bike.

Though I am not sure, what does the no. 21M stands for?

I am 6'1, 36" inseam, 190 lbs. I test rode few bikes in the local shop and I felt 21.5" frame Trek Bike with 29" wheels was the right for me. I tried 23, and with lower seat height, it came close to 21.5, hard to chose.

Now chosing the Gravity bike, only 1 option is left there, 21M. In the geometry chart, its says, effective top tube is 23.62" and standover is 32.1".

So is it a 21" frame bike or 23"? Looking at standover, I think this will be a good fit for me like that Trek 21" bike. Does that sound logical?
Your opinion will help. Thank you.
do not get all hung up on standover...at face value, it would appear to be an issue, but it should not be. Reach is really the best way to determine your need for proper frame size. You can tweak reach quite a bit with stems, bars and seat post. I am 6'3, my bike is a 22" and it has a 34.8" standover...my inseam (your barefoot butt against a wall and a book under your crotch measurement) is 34"...never had an issue. You virtually never need to stand, both feet flat-footed on the ground and stradle the TT. Do not use your pants inseam length when getting a proper fit. With your height at 6'3", it is a little unusual to have a 36" inseam, but having said that, you are definately in the 21'-22" territory.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok that really helps. Actually I am 6'1, and not 6'3 and yet inseam is 36", which I found a bit odd actually. But I did it twice with the book method and yeah, its 36". Also I have long hands and I am slim-ish at 190 lbs. I guess my reach is longer hence I was comfortable on 21" to 23" Trek Bike.

I think it should be a good buy for me. So you thing its a 21" frame, going by 21M size or technical specs mean something different?
Here is the link.
https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/gravity/images/gravity_29er_geo.gif

·
Registered
973 Posts
sorry...I was thinking 6'1" and typed the 6'3", and that makes your 36" inseam even more unusual. Based at face value, a good portion of your 6'1" height is coming from your legs which means your torso may be a bit shorter than typical. That brings us back full-circle to reach. Many shops that perform a quality fit will suggest the next size smaller if you end up being a tweener. Personally, I would much rather ride a smaller bike than one that is just too big...but that's just me. I don't have a clue what the "21M" would mean...a 21 certainly isn't a medium sized frame...a 21 would be a large, so...

Ultimately, you are going to have to be happy with the fit, the competence of the LBS. and your wallet...just one thing that does concern me a bit is your link to BD, but :skep: that is obviously your call...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I went ahead and purchased it. Supposed to be delivered today. I can come back and post how does it fit me.

And in-seam, checked again. In my garage I have the metal scale which is exactly 3 ft/36" long. On flat ground, without shoes, I am able to stand with the scale vertical between my legs, just lightly brushing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts