Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Always in the wrong gear
2,680 Posts
312 sounds damn low to me. My FS bike has a BB height (according to the spec page) of 342mm and it feels low. It corners well, but I pedal strike like a MoFo compared to my hardtail, which ( I think) is around 350-355.

·
Registered
HT, obviously
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
312 sounds damn low to me. My FS bike has a BB height (according to the spec page) of 342mm and it feels low. It corners well, but I pedal strike like a MoFo compared to my hardtail, which ( I think) is around 350-355.
i was thinking about putting regular 27.5 tires on the gg petalhead... with regular 29ers and a 120mm fork has a 318mm bb height...

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Are you punking us? :)

that’s 12.3 inches looooooow. Make sure your numbers are right. If they are, stayaway from that bike like the plague (no pun intended).

·
Registered
HT, obviously
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you punking us? :)

that’s 12.3 inches looooooow. Make sure your numbers are right. If they are, stayaway from that bike like the plague (no pun intended).
nope lol.this is from the gg pedalhead page

this is the marin sq2, just for curiosity (130mm fork)

for context, my current 26er with a ~68 hta, 160mm fork has a 304 bb height... i don't get pedal strikes much, but then i don't tide rocky terrain either

·
Out spokin'
11,204 Posts
FWIW....

My unsagged HT’s BB height is approx. 12.6” (320mm).
(170mm fork, 29x3” wheel/tire, 170mm cranks)

My unsagged FS’s BB height is approx. 14” (356mm).
(160/140 travel, 29x2.6” wheel/tire, 175mm cranks)

=sParty

·
Registered
75 Posts
I rode my Nukeproof Scout @ 12.5" BB Height and 175mm cranks and yes it does pedal strike occasionally, but I didn't find it detrimental to my riding overall.

On a FS bike, you need to consider the BB height with the bike weighted.

·
Rippin da fAt
8,137 Posts
is a 312mm bb height low or high for a 27.5 with 150 travel and 66-67 hta? just testing out a theory
Lowrider??? Sounds like a fella would get stuck on the speed bump in front of the package store before they even bought a sixpack. Far too low for anything that is not paved.

·
Rippin da fAt
8,137 Posts
for a hardtail
I have to laugh and compose myself... I have an early Cook Brothers that is so freakin low you cannot carve on a bonafide street while pedaling, lest you want the rear end out in front of the direction of travel...
Personally, I prefer a higher BB than most since I insist on riding a trialsy style without a bag of concrete mix strapped to the bars. Hasta be maximum playful to earn a place in the collective.

·
Rippin da fAt
8,137 Posts
My dirt couch has 380mm but that is a fullsquish 26. My trials bike is right at 350mm.
Going Jeepin should never be a pedalstrike factory!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts