Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I landed in Bishop,CA for the night tonight (on a road trip for work, but brought my bike) and don't have any appointments tomorrow, but need to be in Reno by about 5pm. I am wondering if anyone has a suggestion for a 1-2 hour ride along my route tomorrow? Of course Lake Tahoe is right there, but most of the stuff I know of would be longer rides, which I unfortunately won't have time to do.

Thanks in advance for your input!

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Yep, lower Rock Creek. Park at the bottom (in the tiny town of Paradise), ride up the paved road (nearly zero traffic), then ride miles of singletrack back down. The timing is good too since you'll do the climb in the morning when it's not too hot. There is a small new(ish) paved parking lot just past the creek in Paradise on the right. I've ridden it many times from the top (while living in Mammoth) and from the bottom (while living in Bishop), definitely nicer to ride down at the end! If you're fit 2 hours will be enough.

It may be tempting to ride up the trail instead of the road - that's a mistake unless you have at least 3 hours.

There are 3 sections of the trail - from the top, medium, short, and long. You ride up the paved road until you do a windy drop into the main canyon, then keep riding all the way until the road hits 395. The upper sections are fast and fun, the lower has some technical rock sections (you will walk some unless you're a trials rider). First timers often miss the second section because you have to backtrack up the road for 50 yards (back over the creek) to find the trail.

This is a good ride to pump the tires hard for the road, then drop the pressure for the trail.

If you somehow run really short on time, drive up the road past Paradise until the road drops to the canyon bottom, park on the left, then ride the road or the trail up to the top and back (the upper sections are much more friendly to riding up). That only takes about 35-45 minutes.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep, lower Rock Creek. Park at the bottom (in the tiny town of Paradise), ride up the paved road (nearly zero traffic), then ride miles of singletrack back down. The timing is good too since you'll do the climb in the morning when it's not too hot. There is a small new(ish) paved parking lot just past the creek in Paradise on the right. I've ridden it many times from the top (while living in Mammoth) and from the bottom (while living in Bishop), definitely nicer to ride down at the end! If you're fit 2 hours will be enough.

It may be tempting to ride up the trail instead of the road - that's a mistake unless you have at least 3 hours.

There are 3 sections of the trail - from the top, medium, short, and long. You ride up the paved road until you do a windy drop into the main canyon, then keep riding all the way until the road hits 395. The upper sections are fast and fun, the lower has some technical rock sections (you will walk some unless you're a trials rider). First timers often miss the second section because you have to backtrack up the road for 50 yards (back over the creek) to find the trail.

This is a good ride to pump the tires hard for the road, then drop the pressure for the trail.

If you somehow run really short on time, drive up the road past Paradise until the road drops to the canyon bottom, park on the left, then ride the road or the trail up to the top and back (the upper sections are much more friendly to riding up). That only takes about 35-45 minutes.
Awesome! Thanks for the detailed instructions, greatly appreciated, especially on such short notice!

Cheers - Nate

1 - 4 of 4 Posts