Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it complete lunacy to try and drive from Lake Elsinore/Corona to Mammoth ... ride and drive home same day?

Mapquest says 300 miles but my brother was telling me it was a 6 hour drive?

Anyone try this before?

·
Registered
48 Posts
I wouldn't try it, and yea its around 6 hours. leave work friday get into mammoth around midnight, ride all day saturday, ride till 2 or 3 sunday, drive home, show up to work monday.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dam... Everyone that was supposed to go cant afford to, and I dont think I can swing covering, gas and lodging by myself...

It was either try a one day or don't go.... hmm

·
Registered
16 Posts
We call it the meth trip during ski season. I say go for it. It's rough, but doable. What else you gonna do? If you leave at 11:00 PM you'll arrive in Mammoth with enough time to eat breakfast, and get ready. At the end of the day, poach a shower somewhere in town, That will make the return drive more bearable.. Have fun!!

·
Registered
242 Posts
A-NON-A said:
Is it complete lunacy to try and drive from Lake Elsinore/Corona to Mammoth ... ride and drive home same day?

Mapquest says 300 miles but my brother was telling me it was a 6 hour drive?

Anyone try this before?
It has been done before, but IMHO, not worth the risk of falling asleep at the wheel on the drive home. 6 hours driving each way plus a full day of riding is a brutal combo if you're solo.

Better to just head up the night before and sleep in your car somewhere.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Ditto on the "Find Sleep" theme: not only is it a long drive, but the altitude will make you even more tired during and after your day there... the drive home will be a bad deal on a dangerous highway that's notorious both for ******bag cops hiding next to the highway and drivers with less than smart passing practices.

The riding's great. Roll up to Bishop, sack out, get up for a crisp and beautiful Sierra Sunrise as you climb the grade to Mammoth, then get some breakfast before you ride.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the input guys..... I guess everyone has me more concerned with driving back after riding than actually driving there. Im pretty confident I could drive up and ride without too many issues , but I know how exhausted I have been after all day trips......

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Lots of free camping in the area.

Find the right spot and you can ride your bike to the park shuttle or gondola in a few minutes.

Easiest thing to do is to leave your vehicle in the resort lot and just roll your bike/tent/sleeping bag into the trees north of the parking lots and snooze.

Get up in the morning and roll Downtown to the village for coffee and breakfast and then catch the first shuttle to the lifts

Lots of natural and free hot springs east of town across the highway.

If you're cool with camping you can have a bit of "luxury" without the expense of paying for lodging.

Take a swim in the lake off the Beach Cruiser loop post ride. You can drive right to it.
Soak in the hotsprings east of town in the late evening.

Gas price is basically the same whether you do it in a day or string it out over Friday night to Sunday morning.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
10,831 Posts
I did the "day trip" thing in the winter for snowboarding one year, it is brutal. We left at 2am, go up there and jumped on the slopes at 8, and started to head home around 3pm. We had 3 people so we could alternate driving if needed, I think i slept the whole way home I was so tired.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm from Elsinore and currently in mammoth. I will be riding in the morning along with some friends. I would not drive from Elsinore to mammoth then ride all day and drive back. I notice at some rest stops, a few cars and rv's so maybe driving the night before and sleeping for a few hours. I'm staying at an rv park for a few days.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Could info I'll be scooting up second week if September. I'll have thee day though and bringing two bikes just in case the other one craps.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
1herm4matrix said:
I'm from Elsinore and currently in mammoth. I will be riding in the morning along with some friends. I would not drive from Elsinore to mammoth then ride all day and drive back. I notice at some rest stops, a few cars and rv's so maybe driving the night before and sleeping for a few hours. I'm staying at an rv park for a few days.
How long was the drive for you guys?

·
Registered
26 Posts
A-NON-A said:
Well I drove from Elsinore to yosemite to lake tahoe and final to mammoth. I'm towing a fithwheel so drive time is slower than would be in a car or just a truck. I think about 6 hours from Elsinore without a trailer would a rough estimate.

·
Registered
97 Posts
done it snowboarding, wouldnt reccommend it. Bring a sleeping bag, crash out in the truck for a few hours if you have to. Maybe hit up a spot you have never been to locally?

·
Registered
347 Posts
My vote is for driving up on friday, sleep in your car somewhere, then ride saturday, find a hot spring to bathe/shower in, then drive home. BTW i've always wanted to a trip like that. Budget Mammoth Trip FTW! =)

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've done a couple of trips like that to Bootleg Canyon in Nevada. I've never done it to Mammoth, but my friends have done it.

Leave around 3am. Drive up there. Ride and then drive home. I wouldn't do unless I had other drivers who I trusted to switch off with.

Mammoth is definitely worth it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
A-NON-A said:
Just got home, drive was closer to seven hours with a trailer. I would do it again, stayed in an rv park 2 miles from the village, and got shuttled to the top. I also did northstar in lake tahoe and I would rather do northstar again. Not much of a drive distance between both places.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts