Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
857 Posts
From my understanding they are ment to replace links full time.

It's when you start unlinking the quick link over and over again is where you could cause a failure to that quicklink.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
SRAM chains have one all the time. They're fine to leave on, and good to carry an extra one to replace a broken link on the trail

·
Registered
857 Posts
What I can't figure out is the stupid KMC or KCM ones.

They claim they're a quick link replacement just like the SRAM's but on the instructions it claims to not re-use them.

Everyone on this forum claims they use the KMC ones over and over again.:confused:

·
...idios...
5,662 Posts
The KMC 'Missing Link' is intended to make your initial fitting simple by making it tool free, whereas the SRAM is intended to be opened/closed whenever it's needed. The KMC and SRAM links are more or less identical, but the KMC has a tiny ridge which stops the links opening up once they have been fitted and a different tolerance fit for the pin/plate interface. The KMC can be opened up like the SRAM link, but it usually requires a pair of pliers or grips to 'squeeze' the link plates together, not recommended.

I use the SRAM link on an XTR or KMC chain because it allows me to remove the chain without any hassle. I've never experienced any issues from opening the link regularly. I only use one link per chain, replacing it when I replace the chain.
Peace,
Steve

·
Vaginatarian
5,686 Posts
sram quik links can be reused (reopened and closed actually) they dont recomend switching them from chain to chain (prob. because they wear out just like chains) However I take them off when I get a new chain and carry them for emergency trail use

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.