Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought a 2006 GF Cake gs, 17.5 less than a month ago, and I'm not sure it's working out for me. I'm a girl, 5'7, 130 pounds with a long torso and I feel really scrunched up on the Cake GS style compared to by boyfriends super caliber. Here's the thing...if I do exchange, do I go for the regular GF caliber or do I go for the Hifi deluxe, but not in a GS version. I think I should ride a guys bike, much more comfortable. Maybe that's why I'm scrunched on the cake? Thoughts?

·
Brentster
309 Posts
You need to get the bike shop to do a proper 15 minute bike fit on you. I bought an Epic a couple of years ago and wanted to trade it in after a couple of rides. The manager performed a thorough bike fitting and found that what I needed was a Thompson Elite seat post with a set back (he threw in the $80 upgrade for free). I was skeptical about what setting the seat back a 1/2 inch would do but it was like night and day.

You might discover that the bike you have is just fine. Maybe you could post pics of you on the bike. hehehe Just kidding. Good luck.

·
There's no app for this.
5,369 Posts
here's the deal

the GS is a shortened Top Tube bike as most ladies have longer legs and shorter torsos than men. you need to determine the correct TT length you need, regardless of bike.

Get your shop involved as previously suggested, but don't bastardize the bike with a really long stem and setback seat post, the thing won't handle then and you could get hurt in a worst case scenario.

If a few small tweaks don't' help, then it's new frame time.

Check over in Womens' forum too for their take and hints on female fit help.

cheers, Jim

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies, I just knew something wasn’t right with the whole frame fit. I went to Trek today and exchanged it for a GF caliber. They said on my cake that they could set the handle bars further up, but to me, that just seemed that it would look goofy. I also had an array of problems with the Cake including chain rubbing, gear shifting trouble and shock issues. I definitely feel more comfortable on a longer framed bike. The hifi was too similar to the cake, but on the Caliber I feel like I really get a great extension in my arms and legs, no scrunching up! Now if only it wasn’t the ugly orange color that it is. Oh well, I can girl it up Much better too have a good fit I know.

Haha, and I will try to post pics…as soon as I figure that out…still haven’t…oops! Alas, I miss my pearly white Cake, that’s the problem though..it had a great icing…but it tasted bad!

I’m just glad the shop worked with me…it was almost 30 days since I bought the cake and I used it several times a week! Whew!!

Can’t wait to ride this week on my new Caliber though!

·
There's no app for this.
5,369 Posts
that's great news...

enjoy the new bike (I'm sure you will). FWIW I believe the Cake is discontinued anyhow, and Cake makes you gain weight......:rolleyes:

Orange is faster, happy trails, Jim

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good point on the cake, but she looks in good shape here...alas...

Tire Bicycle tire Wheel Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel

I'm getting used to orange...and he is much faster!

Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle tire Bicycle part Bicycle wheel

1 - 6 of 6 Posts