Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
yeah, uh............bikes
2,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I broke a shimano hydraulic brake lever blade a week ago, and I won't have a replacement for about another week. I tried riding with the broken lever blade taped, superglued, splinted, and zip tied, but it still didnt' feel solid. My question is, does anyone know a good fix that will feel solid while I wait for my new lever blade?

I'm in college so I don't have any power tools at all, but I want to try to drill a hole or two into each side and then use some small nuts and bolts with a bracket to see how sturdy if feels.

I'm trying to get some time in a machine shop on campus, but I'm not sure if they're open during exam week.

Thanks

·
www.derbyrims.com
6,766 Posts
Loose levers

There's nothing that would be a safe temporary fix for a broken lever.

Expert riders leave the levers a little bit loose on the bars so the levers will give a little and rotate on the bars when crashing to avoid lever breakage, sometimes.

- ray

·
yeah, uh............bikes
2,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, a buddy of mine told me about doing that, but I forgot to ever loosen them up. I broke teh lever about two weeks after I got a new stem that didn't have the same rise angle, so I didn't even notice that the brake levers hit the frame until about a week after I had put it on. Live and learn I guess.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.