Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
heat shrink or solder (leave the cable a little long so you can trim and affix the ferrule properly). you might be able to pull the cable out of the housing with the solder. probably not with the heat shrink. might also try a drop or two of super glue at the end. or if you have surfboard resin, a small glob of that.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Surely the guy would know that he could still ride the bike if he didn't have the crimps!
You're right. I'm thinking he would have been worried about the cable undwinding and then having to replace later.

I can't think of anything that would be easier than going to the bike store (short of riding it like a single speed for the first ride or two, till you get the right parts). I'm assuming your building up from scratch and you don't have the housing laying around.

Or your wife's bike to cannibalize.

·
Registered
405 Posts
if you had the right sized cable terminals or ferrules (electrical ferrules), you might be able to pull it off. Take the plastic part off of the cable terminals, clip off the ring, and drop that guy into the braze-on (assuming you find the right size).

·
Movin' to Montana soon
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
(short of riding it like a single speed for the first ride or two, till you get the right parts). I'm assuming your building up from scratch and you don't have the housing laying around.

Actually I'm converting from ss to 9s so I guess it wont hurt to wait until the weekend to get the proper parts,unless I can turn something up in the garage that will work until then.

Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
406 Posts
They didn't give you any when you bought the housing? Odd
I have this happen before. Sometimes they get distracted with the other parts/questions I have. Sometimes I think they are just stoned.

:lol:

Luckily my girlfriend regularly offers up her mountain bike for this! Her city bike I leave alone because I want her to be riding. ;) We don't get out in the dirt often enough, and she knows I'll have her ship in tip-top shape by the time we get back out in the woods.

·
Hi.
3,865 Posts
On a related note, I bought a frame and the prior owner had drilled out the cable stops to run full-length cable. I didn't want to run full-length, so I used the presta caps until I could buy some of the Jagwire cable stop inserts. They worked well when cable stops weren't available.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.