Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan to buy a Cateye computer, but I am not sure of which one. There are so many.

Does anyone recommend a particular model? They all seem so similar, and I do nor want cadence.

Is there any reason to get a wired one vs. a wireless one?

Thanks.

·
xx = xtr²
147 Posts
Get a Blackburn Atom 2.0 or 4.0 for the wireless version. Cheaper, better, better looking and you get a lifetime warranty. I have had one for the past month and I will never ever go back to a Cateye computer(I had 2 diferent ones).

The readings are extremely fast and precise. Unlike a Cateye, every .1 of a mph works; i make my wheel turn and I can watch it go down .1 of a mph at a time, my cateyes would be herratic in this situation.

Unlike a Cateye, you can install it on your stem or on your handlebar.

Very easy to install with a simple but very tight holding rubber band.

It works in heavy rain unlike my two previous Cateye computers.

I don't know where you live but here a blackburn 4.0 costs 52$ CAD and a Cateye with the same fonctions costs 84$.

However, if you decide to have a Cateye anyway, keep in mind that the entry level version of their wireless computers(Vectra wireless I think) doesn't have the elapsed riding time so dont bother buying it unless you only want to know how far you have been.

YMMV

·
xx = xtr²
147 Posts
I prefer wireless for the ease of instalation and the looks but wired is as quick and precise but 22$ less. Some wireless computers can be affected by riding near powerlines and occasionnaly spike to weird speed like 99 mph and come back to normal after. Making the maximum speed function useless but I have yet to have this happen to me with the Blackburn and if it happens I can reset the maximum speed(or any other fonction) independantly of the other fonctions instead of having to reset the entire ride stats like on a cateye.

Sounds like I hate Cateye, i'm not, they're good. I am just very pleased with the superiority of my new computer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
how do you install the magnet sensor ot the spoke ? I couldn't tighten it up. It's sliding and rotating

·
Vaginatarian
5,685 Posts
planet bike has the easiest and best computers in my opinion
you need to decide what you want out of the unit.

for me, I want distance, time, speed, and temp. total time riding is also usefull for maintenance, everything else never gets used
the planet bike protege 9 has no buttons and comes wireless for around $40 or corded for somewhere around $20 they also sell replacement parts.
most of the other computers Ive tried had too many functions and buttons to remember

·
DynoDon
1,666 Posts
I have the Planet Bike 9.0 Protege wireless, it is easy to install, read, Speed, Time on ride, Distance of ride, Temp, Time, Odometer, (Odo can be reentered when you change battery or it breaks like mine did) Average speed, Highest speed on Ride. There is another Odometer too if you want to use it on another bike, just buy another, magnet, sending unit, and mounting bracket.
One of mine quit, I sent it in, they sent me a new one, simple as that. Only $40

·
too cold to ride
1,130 Posts
Catseye Micro Wireless.

dan0- what happened to your banana avatar?

If your magnet won't tighten around the spoke, something is broken on it. A replacement should cost a couple bucks at a bike shop.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm talking about Atom 2.0. There is nothing broken. It looks like the groove on the plactic part ( and yes I removed additional insert ) is too small for a spoke. It's bulging and doesn't tighten up. Anybody has the same model and was able to install it ?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Epoxy it to the spoke. You can scrape off the epoxy if you have to remove it. You can also use any rare earth magnet epoxied to a spoke and it will work better than the stock setup because they just use cheap magnets. You can get the magnets online in any shape a size that rings your bell.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts