Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Fellow Pilots,

For 05 Enduros with the DEMO 9 inspired framesets?.:

1. Has anyone replaced the rear air shock with traditional coil?

2. Does it have adequate clearance between the outer diameter of the coil and the seat tube opening to allow full travel without and binding on frame?

3. What is the E2E of the stock air shock for this bike?

4. Does the stock New Fox air shock ride closer to a spring than the 02-03 Fox Floar R shocks ?

5. Does the New Enduro ( demo 9 styl;e frame ) weigh the same as the Enduro frameset (monoque style) from 03-04 ?

The reason I am inquiring is that I will have YET ANOTHER Enduro frameset which will require manufacturer WARRANTY REPLACEMENT and I would appreciate some input from fellow Pilots out there before proceeding.

Thanks in advance

Missing in Action

·
Who are the brain police?
10,112 Posts
#1 & #2

1. Has anyone replaced the rear air shock with traditional coil?

*Spec. says that this nulls the warranty. Only the SXT enduro runs a coil.

2. Does it have adequate clearance between the outer diameter of the coil and the seat tube opening to allow full travel without and binding on frame?

*No problems w/ my SXT.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
#5 - I've heard that the demo 6 frame design is slightly heavier than the 03-04 monocoque design, but the center of gravity has been lowered, hence it should right like a lighter bike. You can tell just by looking at and comparing the frames that the new one has a lower center of gravity.

#1 - I think I read another thread in this forum (do a search) on someone asking Specialized directly about replacing the air with a coil. As far as I remember, that person said that replacing with a 5th Element coil (the one on the SXT) will *not* void the warranty, but using a different one would.

#3 - I will try to remember to measure it for you sometime this weekend. Remind me if I don't.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
FWIW, I would not have considered an Enduro as my all-mountain bike if it not for the new frame design. I would do what you can to get the demo 6 style if possible.

I weigh 210 lbs and ride my bikes very hard. My other bikes are a Big Hit, a P.2, and a Stumpjumper. I dig Speclialized's bikes.

·
Who are the brain police?
10,112 Posts
On the #1... from the thread I think you're referring to... someone called spec. and the rep said yes you could do this.. the guy went back to his lbs and they said no... so the lbs called spec. back and they said the first rep was mistaken.

Even putting a 5th coil on the non sxt enduro's will void the warranty because the sxt has different shock mounts than the others. ...my question is, do they mean the mount on the frame or that intermediary mount between the shock and the frame.. ???

·
Registered
499 Posts
I just started the same warranty process...

I found cracks starting on my 2003 Enduro Pro frame at the upper seat tube welds.
Took it back to my LBS asked them to query the local rep on the replacement options.

I asked for 2005 6" frame with me kicking in some money or 2005 5" frame even, which sounds like silver "comp" frame these days. (and I'm sure is the standard warranty offer)

I stressed the fact that this was the second frame I've had to strip down and warranty.
I would think after 2 frames Specialized might want to step me up to better frame, especially since I'd gladly kick in some money. If they don't I guess sooner or later
I'll get there (6" Enduro) since the 5" frame will most likely become obsolete (and
keeps failing under normal use).

I'll follow up with what I get offered.

·
Registered
978 Posts
#3. E2E is 222mm (8.75")

#4. Dunno, I never rode a spring damper, but it is very smooth. But due to the SPV, there is an initial threshold to overcome. Apart from that, very smooth.

#5. My S-Works 'demo 6' weighs 3250 gram including the shock. It's probably 200 gram heavier than the '04 enduro.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.