Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
oleum perdisti
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Sorry this isn't really too biking related, but I'm wondering if folks here can give some honest accurate insight for me.

My wife and I are always considering places to live, and I have a possible job lead in northeast VT.

I've never been up that way before and all I know about the area is nonsense I can find on various Chamber of Commerce type websites.

So, what's the real scoop? Is it a good place to live?
Is there plenty of stuff to do?
How's the cost of living?
What's the weather like? Is it typically pretty sunny or overcast or what? Does it get miserably cold in Winter? How warm does it get in summer?
Oh, and for bike content, how's the cycling up there?

Thanks,

Sam

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
jjabkrvt said:
Cold as anything in the winter, summers can be hot and humid, or cold and rainy.
I'd agree. My wife and I moved from the Boston area to the Burlington, VT area back in '99and it has been a wonderful change. The landscape of Vermont, the sense of community, and the pace of life were all "pros" for us making the decision. Yes, the winters are cold and long (probabaly even colder in the NEK) but it's absolutely beautiful. The change in seasons makes the winters more tolerable. Even more so if you take advantage with some winter time sports. Good luck with your search and let us know the outcome!:thumbsup:

toby

·
oleum perdisti
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I appreciate the replies guys

How about sunshine? Is there much sunshine, or is it mostly overcast?

By way of example, I lived for a short while just outside Seattle once and on the very rare occassions that it wasn't pure overcast, it was breathtakingly beautiful. Unfortunately, the key word here was rare. Most of the time, all you saw was low-lying clouds and drizzle. It usually wasn't really all that cold, but it just seemed a lot like it was due to the lack of sunshine.

Contrast that to time I've spent in Colorado. Pretty darn cold in the winter, particularly at 5000 feet elevation, but just didn't seem so bad because nearly always a gorgeous blue sky and lots of sunshine showing off the rocky mountains.

Where does Vermont fall into this spectrum?

As far as the hot humid summer goes, I'm currently on the Gulf Coast of Mississippi, where my t-shirt becomes soaked with sweat just by walking to the mailbox in summer. I'm assuming Vermont isn't likely to be any worse.

It's really the winter that has me more concerned.

Again, thanks for the replies so far. :)

·
Banned
2,674 Posts
As far as sun goes, I would say half way between Seattle and Boulder. As far as cold goes, we have days in a row where it won't get above zero, but not many. The typical pattern is that it will wram up to 20-35 degrees as it get cloudy. Then it will snow (hopefully, and not rain), then it will cool off to highs in the teens and clear skies, with overnight lows typically in the 10's below. This intese cold lasts for Jan., Feb. We will get snow as early as October on the Mtns, and as late as late April, but those months can also have 65 degree and sunny days.

As someone who loves the outdoors in all seasons I like to say that the weather in New England is a series of extremes, so averages don't really work when decribing the weather in any given month. I find the weather is always changing, and that keeps it interesting. If you are not interested in seeing winter for at least 4 soild months, the Northeast Kingdom is not the place, but Burlington mught be just right for you.
$.02
DVT

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
drsam said:
I appreciate the replies guys

As far as the hot humid summer goes, I'm currently on the Gulf Coast of Mississippi, where my t-shirt becomes soaked with sweat just by walking to the mailbox in summer. I'm assuming Vermont isn't likely to be any worse.

It's really the winter that has me more concerned.

Again, thanks for the replies so far. :)
Nothing even close to that southern heat up here. I'm along the coast north of Boston so it's a bit warmer here than in the NE Kingdom. Hot and humid here means the occasional heat wave that gets into the 90's then Tstorms bring it back down to 80.

But, like DaveVT said it's about extremes. Some years the summer is hot and dry, some years are cold and wet. You never know what you're going to get. The key is to have activites and gear that works in any possible combination of weather.

btw, The Kingdom Trails are pretty sick. I'm heading up there myself with a crew in a couple of weeks for a long weekend of biking and carousing. Can't wait!

·
IMBA Canada
844 Posts
I love Vermont because i can sometimes ski in mid-october... and ride my bike in the trails during X-mas vacations... It can be overloaded with snow in december... and then in January, you get a nice couple of warm days and you take out the board... I love taking my board out one w-e of April with a fresh foot of snow... and then enjoy the trails down in the valley the w-e after...

All about extremes in Vermont... that's what makes it fun...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.