Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
I have a 2006 Reign 2 that I plan to put a chainguard on. Looks like the Blackspire Stinger with BB mount is the best choice that would require the least modification. I've read that it requires 'grinding' an area of the chainguide to clear the Maestro linkage

My questions are, which area of the Stinger requires grinding? And, between which parts of the bottom bracket should I 'sandwhich' the chainguard to ensure proper alignment?

Thanks in advance. Bart

·
May contain nuts
2,433 Posts
No grinding required. I replaced the stock plastic spacers with aluminium XTR spacers, cleaned all surfaces with IPA and used loctite between the BB, guide, spacers and shell to keep it firm. (Careful not to get on the BB thread). Check the chainline is right before doing this...

·
Registered
56 Posts
I also did not grind anything and it works fine:

But maybe you could mount it a little higher towards the chainstay by grinding the mounting plate of the guide. Replaced the outer BB spacer of the SLX cranks with the stinger baseplate.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Awesome! Thanks for the replies.
@ madtrix: Very cool bike you have. Did you cut the seatpost a bit? My Joplin sits a bit high even at lowest position.
I do plan to mount it close to the chainstay. So, should I be grinding off the pointy area on the mounting plate? I still do not have the Stinger so I'm trying to get an idea on how it'll actually sit. Thanks.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Thanks. Didn't cut the seatpost. I think you even can't cut it.
For me it's the correct position. It's extended about 15mm above the minimum position.
But if i would be a little bit smaller I would have the same problem :)
Wait until you get the guide and you will see how it mounts :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.