Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking ahead to the next bike for my daughter.

She's currently on a Trek Superfly 26 and is about to grow out of it. It should last until the Fall (with a longer stem). The Superfly has been converted to tubeless, XR3/SE4 tires and a 28t chain ring, since day one.

Currently she's 5ft 0.5in and weights 90ish pounds.

I've been stuck in the quagmire of buying a bike for a growing human that actually rides. The only option out there at can 'grow' with a rider is a Guerrilla Gravity, but that's pushing 4k and truly overkill.

Trek's Fuel EX 8 Woman is still around $3500, however it comes with full GX Eagle, good suspension, i40mm rims (I think), dropper, 27.5x2.8 XR4 tires and more. Overall its a really good value.

By the time I get the bike my daughter will be around 95-100lbs, 5ft 1-1.5in and 12 years of age. Does anyone have experience with the Fuel 8 Woman's, Fuel 8's or Fuel 8 Plus suspension setup with a light rider?

The sizing chart calls out a small fits 5-0.2 to 5-3.8 and a medium fits 5-3.4 to 5-7.7. The specs call out some kind of knock block to prevent the fork crown from striking the down tube. Can I still bump up the stem to push the size closer to 5-5-ish?

A medium frame would give her the most room to grow. Opposite of the last question. Can a medium have its stem slammed to fit a shorter (around 5-2 ish) rider?

I'm not familiar with the Fox Rhythm 34 Float fork. I have found contradicting statements that the shock is adjustable. The small comes with a 120mm and the medium comes with 140mm. This question applies mainly to 'shrinking' a medium, how ever could apply to adding a little travel to a small. Are these different forks or can I swap the air spring to adjust the length?

Any other interesting knowledge tidbits about the Trek Fuel 8 Women's?

Fuel EX 8 Women's
https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/...ntain-bikes/fuel-ex/fuel-ex-8-womens/p/23602/

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Lot of chatter that a new version may be just a month away--no one knows what changes---you may get a deal on the current model if that works for you or maybe the new bike is the one.

I also saw a continuing string of debate on of that fork can have travel changed----never felt I knew the answer----could call fox---but most folks felt it was a good fork

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I almost bought one for my daughter. They only had a 17.5” frame and my girls were 5’7” +/- 0.5”. But we found that the frames fit really small. Id rather see you go one size too big and i think you will be happy. Put a 35mm stem on if needed and shorter width bars. It was a heavy bike though. A lighter model more xc style might be better suited. Also hardtails are lighter again cheaper. Kona hei hei is 2 or 3 lbs lighter bike.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I almost bought one for my daughter. They only had a 17.5" frame and my girls were 5'7" +/- 0.5". But we found that the frames fit really small. Id rather see you go one size too big and i think you will be happy. Put a 35mm stem on if needed and shorter width bars. It was a heavy bike though. A lighter model more xc style might be better suited. Also hardtails are lighter again cheaper. Kona hei hei is 2 or 3 lbs lighter bike.
Interesting that they run small. I have yet to do and see one. Sounds like like we need to take a trip to the bike shop .... Oh darn.

I've gone back and forth on the full suspension. It will weigh more and cost more. I'll have to weigh her Superfly. It's not light, but would be interesting to see the comparison. Does she need a full squish .... Well no. Will it make her rides more fun .... Yes.

I haven't looked at Kona in a while. I'll check them out.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
I would simply buy used. Resell as needed. Let her buy her bike next one. You simply have no idea how it feels to be uner 100 pounds. My gilfriend was 90 they stuff for them.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I think you’ll have a better idea of her eventual height in a couple of years. The reaches in that bike are long, but i’d Still trust the opinion of the person who has one that they run small. That makes it very iffy to purchase. And it’s not cheap.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.