Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i finally caved and got an 04 HP Team RL to replace my 11yr old ride (univega 708X, rs judy XC)...it was not cheap, but the price ($1799) for that set up from RS Cycles was just too freaking enticing!

anyway, i am not going to be doing any racing, just XC riding...my questions are:

1. i am trying to figure out if i should sell the crossmax sl wheels and buy some cheaper but good wheels...i am not desparate for the cash, but are these wheels overkill for me? what advantages are there for me in keeping them?

2. i have heard such mixed reviews of the 5th element air, i was wondering if i should maybe ebay it while it is new and get something else? would this be a cash neutral transaction or I guess i would prob have to spend a little more?

i need to get this thing dirty, so i wanted to figure out the wheel and shock situation asap!

Thanks!

·
Registered
578 Posts
opdeuce said:
i finally caved and got an 04 HP Team RL to replace my 11yr old ride (univega 708X, rs judy XC)...it was not cheap, but the price ($1799) for that set up from RS Cycles was just too freaking enticing!

anyway, i am not going to be doing any racing, just XC riding...my questions are:

1. i am trying to figure out if i should sell the crossmax sl wheels and buy some cheaper but good wheels...i am not desparate for the cash, but are these wheels overkill for me? what advantages are there for me in keeping them?

2. i have heard such mixed reviews of the 5th element air, i was wondering if i should maybe ebay it while it is new and get something else? would this be a cash neutral transaction or I guess i would prob have to spend a little more?

i need to get this thing dirty, so i wanted to figure out the wheel and shock situation asap!

Thanks!
dont take this wrong, but just shut up about the parts swap and ride the damn thing................you will enjoy it. there is no such thing as "overkill" on quality parts............

·
My gloves stink
1,508 Posts
Fwiw

opdeuce said:

Thanks!
FWIW, I approached the 5th on my MkIII with the same negative bias. I'm no shock expert, but I have to say I've been pleasantly surprised. No gripes at all, other than having to add a little air now and then. It has been retrofitted with new heim joints from Progressive. I dunno whether to credit DW-link or the 5th, but the ride of the MkIII is wonderfully plush, and yet never seems to run out of travel. My zip tie indicates I'm using all the shock's travel, yet I never feel it bottom out. Nice. Of course, my 5th is an 05, and yours is an 04, so I dunno how different they are. But you probably can't get all that much for it anyway, so why not use it until it dies?

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I kinda agree with Rick. You bought the thing, just ride it as is...

That said, I have heard Crossmax's are a nightmare if something goes wrong with them. Servicing and finding parts I mean. Maybe it is just a rumor.

Crosslands on my Expert 04' work just fine for me.

·
Shut up and ride
1,159 Posts
I have a '04 expert RL and its an awesome ride!

But I have had 2 issues

1) I bent the frame, IH replaced it for free

2) The 5th element air's heim joint is shot, progressive has a free upgrade steel one. They were suppose to send me one 6 weeks ago,but I never received it. I called them a few days ago and I will hopefully get it asap

·
Black Lion
4,431 Posts
first off, congrats on the new rig. I say run what you brung.

The crossmax wheels are super cool. Keep them for sure. I had zero issues with them after a year of racing.

The 5th Element is a very good shock in my opinion. Mind you I have an 05 version on my MK, but it has seen a year of hard riding without issue. I did have to get the proper sized spacers from Iron Horse to get ride of some play. Since then it has been spot on. Works very well on my MKIII.

Greg

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
opdeuce said:

Thanks!
That RL has some high zoot parts that can get some decent $ for if sold AS NEW. So if you've already put some miles on it you might not get the full $.

If you parted out the entire thing you'd probably end up getting the frame/headset for a few hundered which's makes for a smoking deal on the HP w/TI hardware.

The downside is that if you don't alreay have a build kit you've got to go get one, which piece by piece can be done very economically on ebay, especially this time of year, but you must have the patience of Nate, which can be really hard when you are staring at the RL frameset for a few months.

If money is an issue, sell the biggest ticket items like the wheels and fork and buy used or a non-boutique wheelset on ebay. Otherwise ride it like it as, and grow into it. As that parts spec is about as sweet as you can get.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all feedback!

sage advice, all!

my cheap ass tendencies are in constant battle with my love of quality stuff...quite a conundrum...

i am sticking with her as she came...except maybe the 1.95 tires which are a bit too narrow i think...

i look forward to growing to truely appreciate all of the "zoot" on the bike...

now just need to get the shocks (5th element and SID) dialed in! i am going to try 75 in the IFP and say 1/2 sag (3.75 travel set up) for starters...not sure about rebound damping...also, because of the rear bias, seems like the SID will need less + pressure than my weight (175) dictates...the adventure begins

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
opdeuce said:
sage advice, all!

my cheap ass tendencies are in constant battle with my love of quality stuff...quite a conundrum...

i am sticking with her as she came...except maybe the 1.95 tires which are a bit too narrow i think...

i look forward to growing to truely appreciate all of the "zoot" on the bike...

now just need to get the shocks (5th element and SID) dialed in! i am going to try 75 in the IFP and say 1/2 sag (3.75 travel set up) for starters...not sure about rebound damping...also, because of the rear bias, seems like the SID will need less + pressure than my weight (175) dictates...the adventure begins
Hey
Does that build have an 80mm fork or a 100mm fork?

Any ride impressions yet? Any issues with hitting rocks with the pedals? I'm planing on trying out a Black 80 SPV on my HP to see if I can make it more XC oriented. The Black 100 super is a great fork but sort of cushy, but I'm worried about pedal strikes.

thanks

·
Registered
420 Posts
ashwinearl said:
Hey
Does that build have an 80mm fork or a 100mm fork?

Any ride impressions yet? Any issues with hitting rocks with the pedals? I'm planing on trying out a Black 80 SPV on my HP to see if I can make it more XC oriented. The Black 100 super is a great fork but sort of cushy, but I'm worried about pedal strikes.

thanks
I had an 80mm fox on mine for a while...no pedal hitting (unlike my sugar, which rode really low). It rode great with 3.75 and 80mm up front. It now has a Minute 100mm and 4.5 setting. Still rides great. Slightly heavy for long climbs (if racing), but works great for most riding.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.