Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just built up my new Flux. Let me say I am very happy. A vast improvement over my past 4-bars (Tracer, FSR, epic).

I have a few minor questions for the experienced:

1. I feel like I'm blowing through my travel on the RP3 (not bottoming out though). I weight about 160 and have set the shock at ranges of 150-160. about 155 seems right. Is this (using all the shock travel) normal on the Flux?

2. Do I need to lube the bushes from new. They feel quite tight when I try to cycle them (rear triangle) manually (with my hand and shock removed).

3. My FOX F100X that felt firm on my SC Superlight now feels like a noodle on my Flux. Also the bump threshold makes the front feel harsh (even with it wound right back to sensitive). This and the leaky right seal has me thinking some other fork. Any suggestions for a stiffer - not too heavy - 100mm fork for my Flux.

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
the feeling of blowin through without bottoming is quite common on the rp3. dont worry, just enjoy a better workin damper. sounds like yer damn close on yer psi. tune to suit from there.

most turners come pre-lubed now so i think yer ok here too. now go get a gun and a tube of m prep from the turner website. youll need it soon enough anyway.

the longer top tube might really change yer fork settings. start from scratch pal. that leak is not good and ill bet when ya have it serviced by yer lbs, fox or better yet push it, all will be right in the world. otherwaise try a marathon or a reba if you must upgrade. i bilieve a push job will make that fox work better than anything else out there and cure the leak and feel issues. enjoy and keep us posted.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Fox forks come with crappy seals. All FX100s will need their seals changed almost right away. Google "endro fork seals", They look cool and work much better than the FOX seals.

·
I've got a Stiffee
913 Posts
I did notice that with my shock removed on my '04 Burner (Supergo clearance) that the rear triangle was quite stiff and hard to cycle. I got some Manitou Prep M grease and the gun and gave the pivots a few shots of that and the triangle became noticeable smoother.

Their is a fine line on the RP3 as far as tuning the air pressure goes so it sounds like you're pretty close with it. Generally a 5psi difference can be a drastic change in some cases.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
Coldass said:
I have just built up my new Flux. Let me say I am very happy. A vast improvement over my past 4-bars (Tracer, FSR, epic).

I have a few minor questions for the experienced:

1. I feel like I'm blowing through my travel on the RP3 (not bottoming out though). I weight about 160 and have set the shock at ranges of 150-160. about 155 seems right. Is this (using all the shock travel) normal on the Flux?.
It sounds like you're close to the proper setting

Coldass said:
2. Do I need to lube the bushes from new.
Most new bushes are self lubricating :p j/k Couldn't resist. The bushings will require lubing every month or 2 depending on riding frequency. It wouldn't hurt to top them off.

·
Registered
99 Posts
well

as for a fork-I am going to ditch the fox and give the new REBA team a try-the poploc being the main reason.

as for blowing though the travel that just seem to be the RP3-for a firm ride try putting 40 psi more then body weight in it.I have been swaping mine back and forth with last years
RL Pro Pedal,and from racing standpoint the bike feels faster with old RL,but not as plush
which is fine by me.
enjoy

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
outcomes

Ok,

Thanks for your help. Here is where I'm up to:

Enduro seal kit on order for my F100X. Chris at Enduro has been very helpful and says that this will fix the issue. I feel positive about this and Enduro provide a great install guide.

I have discovered that the oil leak happens with disks - not rim brakes. Must twist the fork with disks.

Have a tube of Prep M. Will give the Zerks a pump or two. That said the suspension cycles perfectly as is and having firm bushes when new is most likely a good thing.

Still worried about my RP3. Have added about another 5PSI. was good my this mornings ride - but it almost seems like I'm losing air. I'm going to keep an eye on this.

Now the great news.

This frame rocks. I can't believe it took me so long to find Turner bikes. I feel so balanced while riding.

Thanks for you advice. It helped me for sure.

CA.

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
glad to hear its all commin around for ya. ill be stoked if you report back that all is well soon. arent all these people cool when it comes time for some help?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.