Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, Im planning on doing my First Solo 12 hours endurance races, I've done a 12 hours race before in a team of 4 (we got First Place) well I have a couple of questions...

Which would be the best Training for the week race, (rest every day until the day of the race, Light Riding?

Now in the race which is the best game plan, Stop after each lap or ride for a couple of hours like 3 or 4 hours rest 30 minutes. Which is the best way to do it?

Any tip or advice?

thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
it depends.......u have to race your own race....don't worry about other people...listen to your body. drink fluids, and remember calories in, calories out.
as far as race week....i usually do 2 rides...mon and wed. about 2 hrs...real easy

·
853+29+1x24=Fun
1,020 Posts
Depends on the lenght of the course too. For stuff that is about an hour long I try and do two laps and then stop but it gets harder as the race gets longer. Don't pit too long and don't sit down ;)

One tip, don't let the team guys passing you get in your head. That was a tough thing for me to get use to. Everytime a guy passed me I felt like I had to speed up. Pick a pace you can sustain and stick with it.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
kev0153 said:
One tip, don't let the team guys passing you get in your head. That was a tough thing for me to get use to. Everytime a guy passed me I felt like I had to speed up. Pick a pace you can sustain and stick with it.
I concur.

Ride your own race. Once the pack breaks up, there will be folks passing you all the time...Don't sweat it, and DON'T blow yourself up on the first lap:cool:

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Each individual is different when it comes down to training the week before hand. When you are a week out, all the hay should already be in the barn, so there isn't much you can do at that point. Rest, fuel, prep your bike(s) and gear. Some like to do "openers" the day before or so to flush the legs and get everything ready, or pre-ride the course if you are there.

Race Day: Plan ahead of time; take a look at your bodyweight and figure out the % of carbs you'll need to consume per hour. You can find that in training books, etc. Be sure to get food and everything else in your stomach early and often. As far as resting, listen to your body. If you need a break take it, if you don't soldier on.

I think the one thing overlooked in 12-24hr and endurance is the mental aspect. If you've done the training and fuel properly your body will handle the stress. But, is your head ready??? Can you handle the suffering that approaches in those dark hours? My advice and I've said it before, break it down. Small manageable chunks, lap by lap, section by section. Don't stare at the clock or lap count, it will only frighten you when you are fatigued. You're handling skills will deteriorate and your ability to overcome will be pushed. Focus on getting over the section in front of you and then move on to the next section.

Pace yourself, going out of the gate at xc race speed to keep up with team racers will have you blowing up a couple hours in the race and the rest of the time you will spend trying to recover and dig out of the hole you put yourself in.

Don't forget its all in good fun!!

·
Premium Member
2,715 Posts
I concur with it all, especially the mental aspect of solo ultras...

Train with this in mind. It is YOUR race. No one elses.

And lastly, enjoy it and be proud of what you have accomplished.

·
Grizzly
695 Posts
I think the most important thing in any solo race, whether your first or fortieth, is to ride inside your limits. Know your body, how it will react to certain situations, have a flexible plan that allows for variations in weather, mechanicals, level of competition, etc. Set goals based on things you can control, like pacing and pit stop times and attitude.

Above all, have fun. It's more fun when your body, bike and mind are all humming together, but even the bad days can be fun days.

I look forward to these ultras more than anything because every race, every minute of every race, provides an opportunity for a new story, a new adventure, an new threshold to be crossed.

Your specific game plan will depend on your fitness, the course and your goals. Generally speaking, pit stops after each lap work well. If you have a person supporting you, they can go very quickly. You come in, they replenish your food/water and your off. Self supported is doable, but will take a bit longer in the pits.

I did multiple laps between pits at lasts years E12, and it helped lead to disastrous results. I was too amped, hammering to hard, and eating to little. I think having that little break is a nice mental check-point.

Of course, everyone is different, and every race is different. Scheming for a good game plan is half the fun :D

·
LW Coaching
737 Posts
Start easy. Stop at your pit every lap but just for one minute, enough time to change your bottles, not enough time to cool off and get comfy. Fuel from the start in small frequent doses averaging out to about 300 calories per hour. Get caught up in the race during the LAST two hours not the FIRST two hours. Tired racers are much easier to pick off than fresh ones. Never think about the fact you are riding for 12 hours. Stay in the moment and make sure you are always comfortable. If you are not comfortable quickly fix that.

Oh and have fun with it! Riding your bike for an obscene amount of time in a socially acceptable format is one of the best things about ultra racing :)

·
Registered
858 Posts
sebastian21 said:
Now in the race which is the best game plan, Stop after each lap or ride for a couple of hours like 3 or 4 hours rest 30 minutes. Which is the best way to do it?

Which would be the best Training for the week race, (rest every day until the day of the race, Light Riding?

thanks
Some advice - I found taking on food and drink on the move a big help while racing; quiet often it takes more effort to slow down stop etc... It just kept my legs turning. Stop if you have to but keep it to a minute; this will give you a chance to grab what you need and talk to your support crew about what you need next lap. :thumbsup:

Training week of the race - generally week of the race I tend to do intervals early in the week, followed by some easy rides with "spin ups" later in the week. I've found resting too much leaves me feeling sluggish on race day.

My biggest tip, if this is your first twelve hour solo- enjoy it; it will be tough at times particularly in the head, but keep your mind clear and you'll be flying. I agree with the others while saying think for the moment- worry about tactics in the last 2 hours. :thumbsup:

Good luck, and welcome to the dark side :cool:

·
Pixie Dust Addict
3,368 Posts
LyndaW said:
Oh and have fun with it! Riding your bike for an obscene amount of time in a socially acceptable format is one of the best things about ultra racing
That statement is the best advice. While I was riding my first solo 24 a few months ago, that was the idea that coming back to me. I get to ride my mountain bike as long as I can. What else would I rather be doing ;)?

·
The Riddler
1,058 Posts
"but keep your mind clear and you'll be flying."

great advice. keeping your mind accepting to the pain your (willingly) putting it through will pay off. sure you will go through dark mental hours but just take a deep breath and say something motivational to yourself or realize that you are doing something incredible and something even pro xc racers have a hard time fathoming. i'm not religious by any means but every few hours once it starts to get really hard, i just take a moment to clear out everything that hurts and i say "this too shall pass." for some reason it helps a lot.

on the training side of things, its important to have a big base, preferably built over years, but intensity and strength are really important too. when cameron chambers won nationals he said he never did a ride over 6hrs to prepare.

·
Scottish Bike Ninja
129 Posts
Some great advice here. Again, don't get discouraged by all the team racers passing you because there will be a lot of them.

As far as stopping is concerned, DO NOT sit down! Also, if you can avoid locking out your knees when you are standing there...do that. You need to keep you muscles moving. A friend of mine that I often race with says that he will dismount every 2 hrs or so and run with his bike for 10 steps or so on slow sections just to get some blood circulating and get off the saddle for a sec. But regardless, have fun... and make sure to put some kind of an action figure on your stem or helmet...I think that's an official rule of some kind. haha

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you guys for all the tips and advice, this is my plan so far...

1. Enjoy it,, since its my first 12 hours...
2. Keep my pace, not to worry about other riders if they pass me .
3. star easy

Now after each lap, i will have three people supporting me, what can I eat in between laps, how do you manage the food, what type of food, Bars, gels, SOlid Food?

Thanks

·
Scottish Bike Ninja
129 Posts
In my last 24 hour race I ate more GU then I care to recall, 5 gallons of very dilute Cytomax, and 2 whole pizzas.

I tend to do just fine on the very strict:
"2 GU's an hour until the lap ends (the laps were 18.4mi, single 3500' climb in the 1st 1.5) then have someone pass you a rolled up slice of pizza, hold that piece in your mouth and they hand you another one that you stuff in a jersey pocket, then scarf appropriately. "

And yes...I did just admit to stuffing rolled up slices of pizza in my jersey pocket.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
2TurnersNotEnough said:
That statement is the best advice. While I was riding my first solo 24 a few months ago, that was the idea that coming back to me. I get to ride my mountain bike as long as I can. What else would I rather be doing ;)?
That nailed it.

:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
2,715 Posts
See Lynda's post above. Eat what you can tolerate (and normally eat during long training rides). Like she said, about 300 calories/hr and consume the 300 over an hour..constantly taking small portions of it. Drink a lot of fluids. Keep tabs on electrolyte balance. And NEVER eat anything new for a race. Bad juju there. Always experiment with food well before a race.

·
I love Pisgah
3,406 Posts
Its much better to have someone helping, especially the first event. I did my first 12hr solo alone, and it was harder then I'd thought regarding keeping track of my intake while doing lap after lap. Mix it up tho. Gu's, bars, PB&J, Figs, etc.

Also, I concur about the stops between laps. Easy to get comfy and waste time, as well as cool down too much. Change bottles, lube the chain, eat, grab some food, etc...and then get going again. I tried to stop every 2nd or 3rd lap(1 hour laps).

Remember, theres tons of "team" riders(ie.-way fresher riders then you) that will pass you endlessly over the course of the race. Do NOT get caught up trying to race those guys. After that lap they will be getting off the bike for a another couple of hours again...as you go right back out for yet another lap..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.