Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've started this new job and have been considering bike commuting it. It's not very far (9 miles) but has a decent size hill, around 600 feet elevation gain within 2-3 miles. I can do it all road, or take a couple of trails for about half the trip if I want. My biggest problem is how to clean up for work. It's an office job, but really kick back like many film industry offices are. I sweat like hell and will definitely need a shower before I start work. I've thought about joining a gym, but even with my company discount I get at a few, it's still a little pricey.
Also, what type of bike are you on? I've got mtn. and road, I'm thinking something in between. Even taking roads, many of the streets are in tough shape (until I hit Beverly Hills, then they're smooth as glass), but I like the gearing and geometry of my road bike. I'd take roads and not trails most of the time just because it'll be faster.
Thanks for any input.
SoCal-in' Alan

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
SoCalAl said:
I've started this new job and have been considering bike commuting it. It's not very far (9 miles) but has a decent size hill, around 600 feet elevation gain within 2-3 miles. I can do it all road, or take a couple of trails for about half the trip if I want. My biggest problem is how to clean up for work. It's an office job, but really kick back like many film industry offices are. I sweat like hell and will definitely need a shower before I start work. I've thought about joining a gym, but even with my company discount I get at a few, it's still a little pricey.
Also, what type of bike are you on? I've got mtn. and road, I'm thinking something in between. Even taking roads, many of the streets are in tough shape (until I hit Beverly Hills, then they're smooth as glass), but I like the gearing and geometry of my road bike. I'd take roads and not trails most of the time just because it'll be faster.
Thanks for any input.
SoCal-in' Alan
Washcloth, towel and the bathroom at work? Could your "freshen" yourself up once you arrive at work without having to take a shower? Keep fresh shirts, pants, socks, boxers and shoes at work. Ride to work in your cycling clothes. Do the spit bath routine with a washcloth in the bathroom to wipe down and dry yourself off with the towel. Apply fresh smelling salts and you should be good to go. Plenty of people do it that way and the trade off of being a little bit ripe at work for the benefits of health and exercise are well worth it. Choose a hairstyle that conforms to riding, rinsing off at work and won't shoe the helmet hair look. How about a closely cropped haircut, or even a shaved look?

There are ways to do it, but joining the gym - cycling to the gym, showering, parking the bike at the gym and then over at work seems like a lot to handle, but it would be tolerable.

Outside of those 2 options - how about babywipes? :cool:

BB

·
Registered
347 Posts
Coolmax and other wicking clothing

Helps me with the transition.I wish I had them when I was in the army as I would have been more gung ho about training. (we did have poly pro socks which I used as liners and kept your feet dry and blisters from forming) Give yourself about a 30 minute to cool off and clean up. As stated above, a change of clothes is needed but dont change till you stop sweating and give your self a sink bath. Remember spare socks for rainy days.
For a bike, I use my x-5 ventana now. With the RP3 I can firm up the rear and upon arrival of a talas, be able to lock out front too. I know it seem a bit heavy but I prefer alittle plushness at age 40. I am in the process of building some light road disc ot switch out my CK's,819, and cp xrays with. I just got a set of AC 05 hub and am thinking hard about cp xrays, and maybe stan olympics with some street rubber (at least 2" , not skinny tires for me). When I get my Boone rings finished I will have a 26,36,46t chainrings which should give me a nice gearing range for street.
One other thing about street commuting, dont let the traffic raz you. I ride at least 1/3 of the way in the road, follow slow moving vehicle regulations, and make sure I let every one know my intentions. I have been smacked 5 times thru out riding on road (2 serious) and 4 of the times where cars trying to squeeze inbetween me and the other lane (r.view mirrors are a bikers worst enemy) So now, for the past 6 years, they will have to out right hit me if they dont clear themselves to pass. Some get extremely angry (they will even put down the whopper in their hand to roll down their window to scream at you) but I no longer tie my ego to verbal venting of indiviuals who participate in such immature behavior and realize I would rather have them shout at me than hit me. Have fun with it. Great way to save gas and get cardio.

·
Registered
11,770 Posts
umm..

SoCalAl said:
Thanks for any input.
SoCal-in' Alan
I tshower before hand and then when i get to work i wipe off with paper towels and keep some BO spray in the desk. You might try some larger tires (25c) with strenghtened casings for road garbage. For me larger tires combined with a CF fork and wide (44c) bar works.

·
Registered
199 Posts

i just stink up the office, but i've heard of folks using alcohol wipes, like baby wipes. the alchohol dries/evaps fast. you could get a pallet of them at cosco and leave a couple containers in your desk.

i've been riding my bridgestone xo with 1" slicks (ritchey?). plenty of cush for my tush and they handle dirt roads and pot holes well.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Old Spice Showering Wipes! You can get them in the grocery store, usually where the deoderants are (but sometimes they are in other areas). Definitely shower before you leave for work and have clean dry clothes to change into. Sit in your office for a few minutes after you get there to cool down, so that you aren't still sweating when you put on your work clothes. Don't use a backpack because it will make you sweat that much more and it doesn't dry as well because there is no airflow on your back. I used a seat post rack (trans-it), and strapped a small gym bag to it. I also kept my shoes, belt, small towel and toiletries bag in a file drawer.

I found the best commuting bike (for my purposes) was a hard tail or full rigid with semi slicks (reverse-tread Conti Town & Country). It made for a smooth ride. I also put riser bars on my commuter so that I was more upright. If you are going to use clipless, go for something like egg beaters because the cleat is low profile and easy to walk through the office building with, without being too noisy/obvious.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
rjpstoked said:
One other thing about street commuting, dont let the traffic raz you.
Thanks for the input. I'm pretty adapt to high traffic situations, having grown up in Los Angeles. The most dangerous stuff for my commute is usually really congested, one lane stuff going up through canyons. The fumes from the tailpipes is probably way more dangerous than any bumpers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.