Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time with a good bike. I had a Mongoose prior from Walmart with coil shocks.... Uhg..

Questions I have now.

1. When and if do I need to bleed the brakes and what does it do.

2. On the stems of the tires after I take off the cap there is a metal thing the can screw off, do I leave that there or what is it for and can I release presure without a pump?

3. What tire pressure should I use when mountain biking and then when road biking with it?

4. What is purpose of propedal option?

Thanks, if I get any more questions will ask here. I am excited to try it out when I get off work this week...

·
dog lover-not in that way
269 Posts
1. bleeding the brakes removes air from the line. you'll need to do it if the brakes start to feel real squishy; you'll need a kit so it's probably best to let the lbs do it.
2. the metal thing is the stem. unscrew it to add (or let air out), tighten it when your done.
3. convert to tubeless and run 30-40 psi.
4. propedal is like a lockout; it makes the shock stiffer.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No this nut is on the skinny part of the stem, not the nut that keeps the stem from going in and out but on the skinny part of the valve. I didnt try to take it all the way out and do not know how to pump air into it yet because I need a new pump with that type of insert..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Congratulations

gigabyte772 said:
First time with a good bike. I had a Mongoose prior from Walmart with coil shocks.... Uhg..

Questions I have now.

1. When and if do I need to bleed the brakes and what does it do.

2. On the stems of the tires after I take off the cap there is a metal thing the can screw off, do I leave that there or what is it for and can I release presure without a pump?

3. What tire pressure should I use when mountain biking and then when road biking with it?

4. What is purpose of propedal option?

Thanks, if I get any more questions will ask here. I am excited to try it out when I get off work this week...
Wow from a Wallmart bike to a SJ, cool.

1. Bleeding is only necessary when the brakes feel really low on pressure and the don't work, take it to the shop and relax.
2. Dude that's a presta and I think someone posted a nice illustration of that.
3. If you worry to much about the pressure of the tires then you are not enjoying the ride, lock both of your suspensions and have fun. Same pressure would do.
4. Propedal pourpuse is to help you when you are going up the hill, makes the rear shock more stiff and you don't bounce that much, the result, a better climbing, I use it and it works.

Go out and have fun, numbers and technical stuff is important but having fun is more important.

Cheers
Zor

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK I found out I need to unscrew that a little before I can release tire pressure. Now another question, with the rear shock when it is in the top position(lockout) is it suppose to be tight in top position or does it be loose and can move it side to side. the other positions lock in place but top position is loose and wiggles alot back and forth maybe 60 degrees?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Now another question, with the rear shock when it is in the top position(lockout) is it suppose to be tight in top position or does it be loose and can move it side to side. the other positions lock in place but top position is loose and wiggles alot back and forth maybe 60 degrees?

It does wiggles but I think is normal, and don’t worry about the angle, I think it has a lot of play so you only need to think in terms of left = open, right=pro pedal and top = closed, great design, simple and accesible, don’t worry that much and enjoy your ride.

As for the screws at the bottom of the fork, they hold the thing together, so don’t touch them, download the manual from fox’s web site and you’ll see.

Bikes today have a lot of technology and precise engineering but a good design should be almost invisible, it is there doing it’s job so you can enjoy a nicer ride, please go outside and enjoy your awesome new bike.

Zor.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Lucky you, my SJ Triad was leaking Oil at the second ride and is now at the shop, a not so cheap two week old bike and is leaking oil. Some times technology do fail but overall is a nice ride and I have the comp you do have a lighter bike, enjoy!

Zor

·
Registered
7 Posts
Not a bad place to start

If you havent seen this, check it out...goes through some basics. My LBS that sold me my 08 stumpy Expert was cool enough to sit me down and explain most everything, but I came across this and felt it would have helped me if I hadnt had that conversation...

http://www.specialized.com/bc/microsite/suspensionsetup/main.html?x=y

Make sure you click on the Stumpjumper/Safire one, I dont think its the one that starts playing by default....

·
Registered
293 Posts
tubeless will save you money in the long run, as slime tubes get pretty expensive. www.notubes.com

The ability to run lower air pressure is also great off road.

If you are just getting into biking you may want to become slightly more familiar with things like changing tires before you get a tubeless kit.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.