Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey, yall...
im considering getting a bandersnatch pretty soon, but i have some questions.
currently im riding an Ironhorse MKIII.... 5.5 inches of travel, and 26 inch wheels. im over 200lbs and 6"3'. im fairly comfortable in the air right now. my question is, will the vassago be ok in the air? is it going to be a tough transition going from a flickable trail bike to a hard tail 29er? has any one broken frames, hubs, and what not? thanks in advance

·
Banned
2,799 Posts
f00lzBurden said:
hey, yall...
im considering getting a bandersnatch pretty soon, but i have some questions.
currently im riding an Ironhorse MKIII.... 5.5 inches of travel, and 26 inch wheels. im over 200lbs and 6"3'. im fairly comfortable in the air right now. my question is, will the vassago be ok in the air? is it going to be a tough transition going from a flickable trail bike to a hard tail 29er? has any one broken frames, hubs, and what not? thanks in advance
Tough transition? So so ,It depends on you and what you skill level is ( or is not). But I can promise you It would be worth it and it would be loads and loads of fun....Now just go do it and report back A.S.A.P.:thumbsup: CF..........

·
Registered
753 Posts
I've never heard of someone breaking one. They are stout bikes.

It's going to be totally different from your Ironhorse. The Vassago has a long wheelbase, even compared to other 29er HTs.

·
Registered
758 Posts
My two main rides are an Intense Tracer, 4" travel w/26" wheels and a Vassago Bandersnatch and I have to tell you it is a very tough transition to make. "Flickable" is about the last word I'd use to describe my Vassago. The Vassago is my 3rd 29er and for some reason it took me a loooong time to warm up to it. But I eventually did and now I really enjoy it. However, even to this day I find it hard to go back and forth on any regular basis. I'm considering putting one of the new 46mm offset Rebas on it this winter to see how that changes things.

As for how it behaves in the air, I can't help you much. I live in MI so our trails are pretty tame and i tend to keep both wheels planted most of the time.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Stahr_Nut said:
My two main rides are an Intense Tracer, 4" travel w/26" wheels and a Vassago Bandersnatch and I have to tell you it is a very tough transition to make. "Flickable" is about the last word I'd use to describe my Vassago. The Vassago is my 3rd 29er and for some reason it took me a loooong time to warm up to it. But I eventually did and now I really enjoy it. However, even to this day I find it hard to go back and forth on any regular basis. I'm considering putting one of the new 46mm offset Rebas on it this winter to see how that changes things.

As for how it behaves in the air, I can't help you much. I live in MI so our trails are pretty tame and i tend to keep both wheels planted most of the time.
well, see i live in western north carolina. lots of loose rocks, downed trees, and steep elevation changes. ive gotten used to pumpin' most water bars and berms, bunny hopping downed trees, and plowin through rock gardens. ive never been really satisfied with te build of my MKIII, the frame is awsome (DW link) tho.
thats the only reservation to buying a streched 29er, how is my desending game going to suffer? see, i want to start endro racing this season, i can do that with either bike, i guess, but i can get the vassago lighter and cheaper.... just dont want to be sorely disapointed.

·
Expert Crasher
6,358 Posts
do you have to sell the MkIII? If not - keep 'em both and use them for different terrain.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
f00lzBurden said:
well, see i live in western north carolina. lots of loose rocks, downed trees, and steep elevation changes. ive gotten used to pumpin' most water bars and berms, bunny hopping downed trees, and plowin through rock gardens. ive never been really satisfied with te build of my MKIII, the frame is awsome (DW link) tho.
thats the only reservation to buying a streched 29er, how is my desending game going to suffer? see, i want to start endro racing this season, i can do that with either bike, i guess, but i can get the vassago lighter and cheaper.... just dont want to be sorely disapointed.
I used to live in upstate south carolina and have done a lot of riding in western north and south carolina. I ride a Jabberwocky rigid and have had absolutely no complaints about flickability or bike feel in the air. I don't do anything huge but bunny hops over logs, drops over water bars, and even the occasional ~2ft drop in the trail are fine. The bike is fast, very stable feeling on the downhills, awesome through rocks both at speed blazing through, or really over I guess, and slower on the way back up. I definitely feel more stable on my Vassago than I ever did on my previous bike. I went from a Jamis Dakar which is a little shorter travel than yours but similar. I'd take the Vassago in EVERY situation. I love it and would definitely recommend it, (with a suspension fork if you're planning for long rides). Good luck!

·
Waiting for Godot
1,054 Posts
yeah i took to my vassago from the first ride and it got better every time i rode it.

but it is more of a trail/racing xc kind of ride. don't get me wrong, i catch alot of air, but the position that most 29ers put you in are more apt to riding over stuff than flying over it.

also you are talking FS compared to a hardtail. the hardtail will launch much better, but the landing will need to be more precise.

get the bandersnatch, it will make you a happy camper. keep the other for the few times that you want to just air out.

·
Registered
14 Posts
If you are doing all sorts of tricks I wouldn't get a Vassago. They have a long wheelbase, long toptube with long chainstays. They aren't really designed for tricks imho.

Any of the following frames would be better in my opinion and that's all just cause I have a Vassago and I feel like the geometry numbers on these frames are more towards "tricks". I haven't ridden any of these I listed:
Origin 8
Karate Monkey
Chumba HX2
Q-Ball
Banshee Paradox

These bikes have atleast shorter chainstays and some of them are designed more for jumping/agressive trailriding.

Vassago is a nice bike but not for jumping or bunnyhopping. I would get something with better geometry for those. If you like to ride smooth trails and have them feel even smoother Vassago is a good choice.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
pakastin said:
Vassago is a nice bike but not for jumping or bunnyhopping. I would get something with better geometry for those. If you like to ride smooth trails and have them feel even smoother Vassago is a good choice.
I'm going to have to disagree with this. As a regular bunny hopper/small jumper I think my Vassago is great at it. Yes it has a longwheelbase and long chainstays but the geometry is a lot different than most 29ers. I'd try one out and see what you think because there are obviously differing opinions.

·
Registered
14 Posts
7daysaweek said:
I'm going to have to disagree with this. As a regular bunny hopper/small jumper I think my Vassago is great at it. Yes it has a longwheelbase and long chainstays but the geometry is a lot different than most 29ers. I'd try one out and see what you think because there are obviously differing opinions.
Yeh, It was my opinion and it might have something to do with the fact that I'm not really that experienced rider. The long wheelbase and long chainstays makes the hopping harder from my experience but with a more skilled and a stronger rider might just pull anything off with a Jabber. "Tricks" just might be easier to execute with something more "nimble" bike. :)

Overall I forgot to add that I find singlespeeding a bit hard when the chainstays are long especially when you try to hammer the steep climbs unseated. Your weight is easily so far away from the rearwheel that it slips easier than it should and the bike is somewhat flexy. That shows especially when you have stiff craks and you hammer away with a minimal clearance on the back when you try to minimize the chainstays. Seated climbing is offcourse really easy on the Jabber.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks for your input guys. im not talking about doing tricks, just the normal saves. sounds like id just to need to work on my core strenth.
i am definately going to check one out at addictive after the holidays. i will more than likely pull the trigger then.
thank you for your help.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts