Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Canada and although I plan to ride for as long as I can this year, I know that eventually the snow and freezing temperatures will cut down my riding time.

I have a moutain bike and will have slicks on it when it gets cold enough so I can road ride for as long as I can. I was thinking of buying a trainer and hooking up my mountain bike to it, in the basement, to keep up the fitness benefits over the winter.

So does anyone use a trainer? What types of trainers are there? What are they priced at? How is a mountain bike (with slicks) on a trainer?

Any other info?

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
noonievut said:
I live in Canada and although I plan to ride for as long as I can this year, I know that eventually the snow and freezing temperatures will cut down my riding time.

I have a moutain bike and will have slicks on it when it gets cold enough so I can road ride for as long as I can. I was thinking of buying a trainer and hooking up my mountain bike to it, in the basement, to keep up the fitness benefits over the winter.

So does anyone use a trainer? What types of trainers are there? What are they priced at? How is a mountain bike (with slicks) on a trainer?

Any other info?
There are 4 main types
wind
mag
fluid
electric

most are driven by the wheel, a few are driven by the rim. A mountain bike with slicks will work fine

wind trainers are LOUD

Mag and Fluid provide a nice smooth feel to them. Electric ones allow the ability for power measurement and the ability to set power outputs.

There are cheap ones, like from Performance, and there are mid level ones from people like Cycleops, and there are high end ones from 1Up, and Computrainer.

Go to the reviews section here and at roadbikereview.com and see what people have to say, and find out what your budget is. But best advice is to stay away from super cheap ones and stick with a mid level or better

there are also deals at ebay

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have the Cycle-Ops Fluid 2 trainer, bought it on ebay - seems to be very popular with everyone and rides smooth with little noise. Very easy to set up, great to build endurance...

I just set up my bike in front of the tv and watch sports center or something, it's a really great workout.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I just got a cyclops fluid 2 trainer for this winter. i've been using it off and on a little, and it's not as boring as I thought it would be. I just put on some tunes or a dvd and go. they're great for working on spinning and doing interval training. oh, I also had an extra rear wheel/cassette laying around so I keep my knobbies on my bike and just switch wheels when I want to use the trainer. I'm lazy.

·
i worship Mr T
5,543 Posts
noonievut said:

Any other info?
i have a Blackburn mag ( = magnetic) trainer on which i spent more hours than i care to count last winter. it is a good, functional, durable trainer. that said, i would recommend a fluid trainer over either a wind or mag trainer. (i got the mag trainer because the price was right....it was free!) the fluid trainers are quieter and much smoother than either mag or wind.

for the price you can't beat the Performance fluid trainer (but if you get it don't get the optional bar mounted resistance changer thingie. it's not worth the extra $20.) also, if you look on the "Best Deals" board over at roadbikereview.com there is a coupon code for 20% off any purchase of $50 or more at Performance.

happy spinning.

rt

·
Banned
2,994 Posts
I got a 219.00 Blackburn

noonievut said:

Any other info?
Don't cheap out get a good quiet trainer
and some kick a$$ punk/hardcore/dirtbag/loud/nasty music and some Bob Marley for recovery/easy days.

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
Have a look at the Tacx i-magic

www.tacx.nl

It looks like a good laugh if you're forced to ride a turbo trainer during the winter. It connects to your PC so you can steer and pedal the bike for developing your offroad skills whilst posting on MTBR at the same time.:)

It costs ?400 plus ?100 for the steering system in the UK which isn't cheap but there's a ?150 upgrade kit if you already own a Tacx trainer.

Personally I can't stand turbo trainers. Can't you just put snow tyres on and wrap up warm? (It doesn't snow much here.:) ).

Attachments

·
Registered
108 Posts
hi

i have the Minoura RDA 850 which is a rim drive model. the rim drive is probably most suitable for use with a mountain bike unless you want to be changing to slicks everytime you use the trainer. mtb tires on a tire drive trainer are very noisy and a weird ride. also tires can wear down pretty fast on the tire drive.

sp00kme

·
Registered
108 Posts
1 up

noonievut said:

Any other info?
I have a 1 up USA trainer.

Downside: Higher price than most trainers at $299.00 (incl shipping)

Upside: Very quiet, indestructable, folds to nothing, best flywheel on the market, most adjustable platform on the market, unbeatable warranty, unbeatable Customer Service, Includes onboarg wrench for all adjustments, Kicks my ass for an hour a day in the winter and does not get hot, does not spit fluid after a year or so of hard riding.....

I might seem a bit biased, but the thing rocks. I liked it so much I bought a bike rack too. Check out the website at 1upusa.com

I took an old MTB wheel and put a cheap cassette on it with a slick. It takes me 30 secs to change out the wheel for the trainer and it cost me about $30.00. Well worth the investment over wearing out tires and putting up with noise.

Mike

·
Registered
426 Posts
Hey Noonie....
I was into the store yesterday investigating trainers for nights that i won't be out whipping down the ski slopes.

Go check Skiis & Bikes in Miss as they will begin to receive there trainers within the next few weeks. The manager of the store here in Collingwood informed some of the suppliers will be offering a slick tire with there trainers in about 3 weeks. He also told me that the trainers they will have that are priced around $200 - 250 will be good enough to keep us in shape over the winter.

I'm planning to get one just to keep in shape while i'm not out skiing...and to keep from getting too bored on those cold frosty nights

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks.

Skihillguy - I've checked out some shops here in Toronto but will look into what skis and bikes is offering. Do you recall what brands/models they said would be for sale?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Gotta agree with the 1UP...I've done most of my workouts for years on a Computrainer where you can accurately dial-in a power output, and had a cheap performance mag trainer I took with me at times. Basically got sick of the crappy feel of it, and then the cups that hold the wheel in place came loose...so I bought a 1UP. VERY well manufactured, incredibly smooth to train on, and very easy to set up and take down.

Several racers I coach use these w/ a rear-wheel speedometer to target their training efforts. They have been able to get very consistent workouts by simply hitting a target speed and holding it for the workouts. Other than the cost of this unit, I can see NO downside, and it is clearly better constructed than other similar trainers I've seen.

The other option would be one of the lesser-priced units that actually have power measurement built in. One racer has been using the Graber unit...seems accurate, although not as easy to use in ergometer mode as the Computrainer. Tacx makes one as well. As for the accuracy and reliability of these units, I do not know. We've had 1 Computrainer for 10 yrs, and the other for about 8. One was recalibrated (for free!) at the factory after a few years, but otherwise, totally trouble free...just NOT CHEAP! Of course, you can step up to the Velodyne and REALLY spend some money!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts