Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just started using my new Yeti with the Fox RP23 - earlier I had the RP3.

I am a bit confused about the settings on the RP23.

I understand that 1 is light, 2 medium and 3 firm propedal but it is really hard to feel the difference when the lever is set to propedal. On the RP3 it was much easier.

When the lever is set to open - is there any difference whether Propedal is set to 1, 2 or 3 or is it just open?

Any info is appreciated :)

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
Yup, and....

that's the beauty of the RP23. The 2 is the 2 position switch, propedal on or propedal off. The 3 are the 3 different settings available for the propedal when it's on as you've noted.

What position the propedal "level" setting (soft, medium, or firm) is in has no affect on the shock when the 2 position switch is in the off or open position. The compression circuit (which is all propedal is, a low speed compression vavle) is wide open and the shock is free to compress in response to all input. So the suspension will be more responsive to small bumps etc. When in the on or closed position you've engaged the propedal system and the low speed compression circuit resists low speed input like pedaling forces, how much so is determined by the setting of the 3 position switch. When the level of input becomes greater than the resistance setting the shock moves or compresses. What actually goes on in the shock is a bit more compicated than that, but that's the simple tell on it.

Now to the apparent lack of difference in propedal settings. The problem with any propedal shock is that bike and suspension designs are highly variable. Unless the shock came stock on the bike it has been set up with the "standard" valving that come on all aftermarket Fox shocks. This may not be ideal for the suspension design Yeti uses. Also bike manufacturers are different as well. They spec what they feel are the ideal settings and Fox will set up their shocks to the manufacturers OEM spec for propedal valving. So if Yeti's idea of how much difference each setting should make is milder than "normal", you won't notice allot of difference as well. It's one of the reasons that Push Industries is doing such a booming business. Also keep in mind, propedal isn't a "lock out". The idea behind it is to minimize pedal induced bob while still maintaining a realatively active suspension. If you aren't "feeling" it then it's probably working as close to perfect as it can get. What it should do is firm up the rear end for climbing and reduce pedal induced bob, while still leaving the suspension active enough for medium to larger hits. I've got a propedal shock on my FS bike. The only time I really notice the propedal is on the climbs and chattery trails with lots of small stuff. On the chatters I just switch it off and it butters the stutters out nicely. But if I'm bouncing on the bike or standing and hammering I don't even know it's on. But seated on a long climb I can deffinately tell the difference.

Good Dirt

·
Registered
320 Posts
For what it's worth, I feel a strong difference between settings on my RP23 (on a new Heckler). Having said that, I almost always use it fully open as I stay seated and pedal quite smoothly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.