Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Mtbr,

I am new to this site, but not to mountainbiking or cycle touring. I am toying with the idea of trying out bikepacking and in particular I'm thinking about route for this summer. I teach so I have a wide window of opportunity this summer.

My plan would be to start in Sisters and ride the Petersen Ridge Trail to the Metolius Windigo Trial. I'd ride NF 370 before the Metolius Windigo Trail turns into the Wilderness boundary and get back onto the M/W trail until Lava Lake. From Lava Lake, I'd ride around Cultus LK to NF 600 and cut over to Waldo Lk on the Lemish Lk to Charlton Lk Trial 19. From Waldo, I'd ride the Bunchgrass Ridge Trail to Oakridge, ride the Aufderheide to the McKenzie River Trail, and take the Santaim Wagon Rd back to Sisters.

When I do tours on paved roads, I typically ride 80 miles per day, but have ridden many 100+ mile touring days. I was hoping I could plan on an average of 60 miles per day. (I've ridden 90 miles on dirt on my mountain bike in a day, but it was a long day)

My questions are:
1. What month would be the earliest this route should be attempted due to snow and blowdowns?

2. Is an average of 60 miles per day sound reasonable for someone who is fit and experienced and plans on camping every night?

3. Does anyone have any insight or experience with this route?

I'm a little concerned about getting from Waldo Lake to Oakridge. I've ridden all the other parts of this route at one time or another.

Rough Outline
Day 1: Camp somewhere from around Todd Lake to before Lava Lake.
Day 2: Camp somewhere around or past Waldo Lake.
Day 3: Camp on the Aufderheide just past Oakridge.
Day 4: Camp near McKenzie Bridge.
Day 5: Camp near HooDoo.
Day 6: Back to Sisters.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Gold Lake to Oakridge via Mt Fuji-Bunchgrass-Heckletooth on an unloaded full-suspension bike is probably the most demanding section of singletrack I've ever ridden (as Day 3 of a supported Bend to Oakridge ride a few Octobers ago). I'm remembering something like 5000'+ and 8000'- on a 35 mile day. So, if you are carrying gear, you can expect a loooong day with a lot of steep hike-a-bike.

Sounds like an awesome route and adventure. Fall would be the best time by far, or as late into the summer as your schedule will allow. The snow and skeeters will be gone, and the trails will have been cleared of deadfall.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I'm not a bikepacker, but 60 miles a day unloaded in some of the Oakridge area would be huge (not familiar with most of the other areas you mentioned). I rode Bunchgrass once and it almost killed me. But that sounds like a great ride -- just may want to think about a little extra time.

·
it means 'no problem'
508 Posts
McKenzie Bridge to Hoodoo seems ambitious to say the least, especially if you're planning to ride up the McKenzie River Trail. Seems with the other "suggestions" you would be wise to plan to split some of your single days into two or more days. Sounds awesome tho.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your replies. My biggest worry is from Waldo to Oakridge.

I'm thinking some overnighters to get an idea of a reasonable mileage will be in order. I'm not sure about daily mileage myself. It's not much of a feat to ride 80 or more miles a day on pavement, but off-pavement is a whole different story especially weighed down with camping gear and food on single track.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts