Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it seems I'm addicted to Haro bikes. For the record i already own a haro shift, but i found a shift in white that I'm in love with so i picked up the frame. I have a few questions regarding the bike. Since I bought the frame used I'm already aware there is no warranty but am still happy with my purchase (still waiting for it to get here).

The frame comes with a Fox RL rear shock but is missing the bushing and hardware to connect it i was just wondering where i could pick up the bushings. I found the specs for them on mtbr from Haro's product manager "The Shift runs a 7.875 x 2 (200x50) Hardware measures 22.1x6mm frame 25.4x6mm Swingarm", I can find the swingarm bushings but not the frame ones so any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm pretty sure the frame doesn't include a full headset from the pictures so I'm trying to find out what type of headset for it i believe it uses a Integrated Headset from the looks of my other shift but am not totally sure. I see all these bmx integrated headsets but very few mountain bike headsets.

My other shift is paired with a sid up front and a fox rl in the back, so for this one i was planning on putting a Revelation dual air (i can get it for about 225 reason I'm looking into it) up front and keeping with the RL for the back cause i love the way it feels.

I already have most of the parts to build it up; a spare wtb dual duty wheelset, and xt derailleurs, and ea70 handle bar and stem, the only thing i am missing is the crankset which will probably be a lx crank with bbg bashguard for the outter ring since i never use it anyway.

Attachments

·
Registered
94 Posts
I may be building a Shift up in the near future, let us know how you make out with the
shock reduers. Just a quick glance at the Greasy Bench site, looks like they want $32.00 per set of reducers. That is about double what most people charge based on my experience.

Maybe Jill H. can tell us why they use these sizes rather than a round number like 22.0mm?

Thanks,
JP

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
jwpeltier said:
I may be building a Shift up in the near future, let us know how you make out with the
shock reduers. Just a quick glance at the Greasy Bench site, looks like they want $32.00 per set of reducers. That is about double what most people charge based on my experience.

Maybe Jill H. can tell us why they use these sizes rather than a round number like 22.0mm?

Thanks,
JP
The people at Dirtlabs are awesome to deal with, pricing I find to be average, :thumbsup:

As the Lady said "You should be able to get the other set of spacers through Fox. " :cornut:

·
Registered
94 Posts
Can anyone confirm these specs on the reducers?

Hardware measurements = 22.1x6mm frame, 25.4x6mm Swingarm

I'm hoping to mount a Swinger X3 and the 22.1mm could be an issue.

Thank you,
John

·
Registered
94 Posts
Jill,

Where do companies come up with these sizes? I know 25.4mm = inch and 22.1mm could be 7/8" but everything about the frames and shocks are made in Asia. Why are so many different reducer sizes utilized when you could easily do something simple.

Thanks for the confirmation, I have not found anyone who makes a 22.1mm that will fit a
12mm eyelet.

John

·
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
dogonfr said:
As the Lady said "You should be able to get the other set of spacers through Fox. " :cornut:
I contacted fox about 2 days ago and managed to get both sets of reducers for only 10 dollars plus shipping i looked all over and no one else had them as for Dirtlabs they were great over the phone but their prices were kinda expensive so for anyone looking for the reducers contact fox directly

·
Registered
94 Posts
Jill,

Sorry if I confused things. This is the dimension or width of the reducers or spacers needed to bolt any shock to the front and rear of the Shift frames.

As far as I know, 12mm is what Manitou still uses for their DU bushings and I'm mounting a Swinger. Most others including Fox now use 1/2" (12.7mm). My Haro Xeon had a RS Pearl 3.3 which also used 12mm DU bushings also.

Seems 1/2" in becoming the standard, which again is odd as all of these shocks are made overseas.

Rock Shox does not offer a 22.1mm set and they have many available. I may be forced to try a 22.2mm reducer set and file it down.

John

·
Registered
94 Posts
At this point I wish I had purchased a Fox shoxk but the Manitou swinger is brand new and needs a different reducers size.

Fox uses 1/2" diameter (x 1/2" wide), Manitou is 12mm (x 12mm wide).

I think the guys at TFTuned in Europe can make any size needed, I'll just have to pony up the added cost. Their site is great by the way in explaining reducer sizing and the different types available. They sell a heavy duty type that Rock Shox also uses.

John

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
Sanoske312 said:
I contacted fox about 2 days ago and managed to get both sets of reducers for only 10 dollars plus shipping i looked all over and no one else had them as for Dirtlabs they were great over the phone but their prices were kinda expensive so for anyone looking for the reducers contact fox directly
Pimpin!! :cornut: :cornut:

·
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Update: Finally Ordered All The parts

Well its official I am now broke but i managed to order all the parts to build the shift up, now I'm just waiting on them to arrive.

Here is my build list managed to keep it all under 1000 so I'm pretty happy

Bike Parts Set Up Cost
Frame Haro Shift 165
Fork RockShox Revelation Uturn Dual Air 350
Rear Shock 09 Fox Float RP2 XV 125
Shifters Shimano LX M580 45
Front Derailleur Shimano Deore 0
Rear Derailleur Shimano Xt 0
Shifter Cable/Housing Shimano 0
Brake Levers Avid FR-5 BRAKE LEVERS 13
Front Brake Hayes MX4 (temp) 0
Rear Brake Hayes MX4 (temp) 0
Crankset SHIMANO LX FC-M582 CRANKSET 85
Bottom Bracket Included with Crankset 0
Cassette Sram 950 24
Chain Sram 951 16
Headset WTB Inner Peace 21
Handlebar Easton EA70 Monkey Bar 0
Grips ODI Ruffian Lock-on 20
Stem 90mm Sette Venn Mountain Stem 13
Saddle WTB Speed Rocket 0
Seatpost Sette Venn 0
WheelSet WTB Duel Duty 0
Pedals White DMR V8 Pedals 33
Misc Tools 25

Total Cost 935

Attachments

·
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Finally all Assembled

Well I received all the parts yesterday after school and started working on getting it all together and manged to get everything dialed in besides the brakes before the Girlfriend came over and today I finished up the rest.

Here are some new pictures shifts.
My original shift the bike that made me fall in love with Haro bikes.

My New Shift

All I gotta say is wow the revelation is so plush and i love the uturn feature.

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
Sanoske312 said:
Well I received all the parts yesterday after school and started working on getting it all together and manged to get everything dialed in besides the brakes before the Girlfriend came over and today I finished up the rest.

All I gotta say is wow the revelation is so plush and i love the uturn feature.
You picked the Girlfriend over the Shift!!!!! guess she would be warmer to snuggle with and can shift just fine. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I found this thread while looking for info on spacer size for the shift frame. I have an old manitou radium that I just blew the seals out of and the eye's measure 1/2" x 1/2" not the 12mm mentioned above. Will these existing spacers work on a fox shock?

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have only seen 12mm eyelets on Maitou product but if you are sure the Radium uses
1/2" OD reducers than yes, they should fit into a fox or rock shox shock.

I found Universal Cycles has many in stock and will price match other online sources that have better prices but limited stock.

JP

1 - 20 of 29 Posts