Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I'm in the middle of some serious analysis paralysis over replacing my Vanilla R with a 2005 AM1 or a 2006 Pike Air U-Turn on my RP3-equipped Spot and am hoping for some input. I've done a lot of searching and lurking here and found some great information but really no head to head comparison of the two forks. I rode a friends Reba and liked it. I have never spent more than a few minutes on a Marzocchi and will be unable to try either the AM1 or Pike before purchase.

My riding is probably pretty typical for aggressive 5 Spot riders - technical trail riding punctuated with some jumping and drops of <5' mostly to tranny. Our trails have lots of climbing of all description and I really enjoy climbing. I am 5'10" and ~170 lbs. I have always valued small bump compliance and rarely bottom hard but regularly get ~4.5" with the stock spring.

My reasons for replacing the Vanilla are twofold. Firstly, I want to combat the brake dive and lack of compression stroke control that are apparent with the Vanilla. Secondly, I'd like adjustable travel. There are times when I need more travel/slacker head angle than the Vanilla provides and other times when I need less travel/steeper angle while climbing or while riding tight singletrack. A stiffer fork sounds nice too.

I understand that the Pike at 140 mm and the AM1 at 130 mm will give the same head angle (A to C = 518), right?

How does the performance of the TST system compare to Motion Control? I understand the basics of how both systems operate and am looking for real-world comparisons.

Is there any reason to get the 2006 AM1 instead of the 2005 model? The 2005 models at blowout pricing are enticing.
 

·
not so super...
Joined
·
11,466 Posts
No reason to get the 2006 All Moumtain 1 over the 2005 AM1 except for colors. I think the 06 is actually 2-3mm taller too.

I have a limited amount of time on a Pike but not on my bike so I won't try to compare them. I do like my AM1 however. The air preload is handy to eliminate the spring changes. The TST works as advertised although I do normally run the setting between AM and DS only.

The biggest difference between the 2 fork would be the travel adjust on the Pike can be "on-the-fly" and the Zocchi is not. Also the 20mm axle on the Pike and std QR on the AM (although that can be fixed).

The bonus to the Pike purchase would be the forthcoming modifications available through PUSH.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I know that ETA is "on the fly" but is a lock down. What about TAS? The knob is on the bottom of the leg so it's not on the fly but is there more to it?

SSINGA said:
No reason to get the 2006 All Moumtain 1 over the 2005 AM1 except for colors. I think the 06 is actually 2-3mm taller too.

I have a limited amount of time on a Pike but not on my bike so I won't try to compare them. I do like my AM1 however. The air preload is handy to eliminate the spring changes. The TST works as advertised although I do normally run the setting between AM and DS only.

The biggest difference between the 2 fork would be the travel adjust on the Pike can be "on-the-fly" and the Zocchi is not. Also the 20mm axle on the Pike and std QR on the AM (although that can be fixed).

The bonus to the Pike purchase would be the forthcoming modifications available through PUSH.
 

·
Time is not a road.
Joined
·
4,150 Posts
You didn't note anything about the hub compatibility so I assume it's not an issue?

The compression settings on the Pike are virtually infinite when combined with the Motion Control damping set, so if you like to tinker, this is the fork for you. The AM1's settings are not as fine tuned.

I'd say these forks are definitely well matched. It could come down to asthetics and price. Good luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I'd have to buy a new wheel if I got a Pike but am willing to do this if the Pike is the right fork for me. Price is definitely a factor but, since I can sell my QR wheel, getting the Pike with a new wheel shouldn't be too much more than the AM1. All other things being equal, I would probably opt for the AM1 to save a few bucks especially if I can find a black one.

chad1433 said:
You didn't note anything about the hub compatibility so I assume it's not an issue?

The compression settings on the Pike are virtually infinite when combined with the Motion Control damping set, so if you like to tinker, this is the fork for you. The AM1's settings are not as fine tuned.

I'd say these forks are definitely well matched. It could come down to asthetics and price. Good luck!
 

·
not so super...
Joined
·
11,466 Posts
DireWolf said:
Thanks. I know that ETA is "on the fly" but is a lock down. What about TAS? The knob is on the bottom of the leg so it's not on the fly but is there more to it?
Yep. The TAS knob is on the bottom of the leg and is a "set before you ride" adjustment for the most part.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
428 Posts
If you like climbing then try new 130X TT from FOX. I have it about a month now and really like it. It is a bit on the expensive side compared to 05 AM1's going for $350 or so these days.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the suggestion, Stoked, the new Foxes do sound pretty sweet. The price is out of the ballpark for me though and I also want something that can adjust to a longer setting (shallower head angle through increased travel or longer A to C) than the 130 mm Foxes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,125 Posts
stoked said:
If you like climbing then try new 130X TT from FOX. I have it about a month now and really like it. It is a bit on the expensive side compared to 05 AM1's going for $350 or so these days.
Are there any black '05 AM1's going for this price out there?
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top