Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,
I'm pretty new to this whole mountain biking thing and I've got some questions.

-Can the lockout on my front fork be adjusted while I ride?
-Is it murder on my bottom bracket to ride through puddles?
-Sometimes the pads on my disc brakes rub, then it stops, then it starts again, and
keeps going on in this cycle. Is there something I'm doing wrong, or that I can fix
myself?

I think that's it for now. And if it makes a difference my bike is an '07 Gary Fisher Piranha.
Thanks for the help! :D

-Matt

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
1. If you can reach the lever and turn it. Yes. Just watch out for your fingers ;). Depending on the fork, you might be able to get a remote lock out that will mount to your handlebars to allow for quick locking. For what it's worth, I used my lockout a lot when I first got my current bike. Over time, I've learned that having the fork locked out is hardly different than not having it locked out, and over some terrain, I prefer the suspension even when climbing.
2. No. Keep away high pressure direct spray (like the hose at a car wash) and you should be fine. After particularly wet rides, unless your shell has a drain drilled in it, it might be a good idea to pull your seat post and turn the bike over to empy any water that may have accumulated in the seat tube.
3. I have BB5s also. Occasionally, you'll get that rubbing and then it goes away. It's not hurting anything. If the sound bugs you, you can do like I did - get used to it, or be regularly re-centering the pads-caliper by loosening the bracket, giving the brake lever a good squeeze and retightening. If it eases your mind, I've ridden nearly 400 miles on my bb5s (and I weigh 230lbs) and am still on the original pads/rotors with no replacement required in the near future ;).

·
Freeriding Feline
2,548 Posts
No, Sonic is right about #2. As long as you take care of your bike after riding through water it'll be fine.
Stop trying to scare the new people.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.