Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really want to get my girlfriend a halfway decent bike for not a lot of cash. I want it to have lockout front shocks and disc brakes with semi-descent components. My budget is $350. Is this doable? I know I am unlikely to find anything in an actual store but online would be fine, too. I found this
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/dawes/hay1000xi.htm
at bikesdirect but it's not a women's bike. However, they do have xs (she's 5'2"). Should I just go with something like this since she's not a super-serious rider or is there better? Do I really need to get a women's geometry bike?

I figured I'd ask the ladies since you guys buy more lady's bikes. ;)
Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Stripes said:
Did you read the FAQ? There's a lot of your questions already answered there.
Thanks, but yes I did... That's why I asked because my questions weren't answered there. I didn't find anything about the importance of getting a women's geometry bike or if it's OK to just get a smaller men's bike if she's not that serious of rider. The first thread in the FAQ didn't mention very many brands or have any links to good websites to purchase a bike at my price point. Obviously, it didn't comment on the bike I linked or the website I suggested. ;) The second one had a price range that was more than double of what I am looking for. Anyway, if anyone's willing to help I'd really appreciate it. If not... that's cool. I just don't want to get ripped off and I don't want to buy her a piece of sh*t.

edit: I did find this about geometry but i'm still not sure...
"Frames designed for woman have come a long way and I wouldn't rule them out just yet. Even though your riding partner may not be cursed with a short inseam, other specs on Woman Specific Design bikes are built for the way most female bodies are. Like shorter top tube lengths, chain stays,seat tube angles etc etc, and greater stand over heights. Building female designed bikes probably started out to be a lot of hype but through the years bike companies have realized there is a whole rider population that doesn't fit normal bikes too well. Make no mistake about it, not having a bike that fits you is one of the biggest mistakes riders make; not just stand over height either. That's not to say that all woman riders need to be on a WSD bike either. All riders, men and women need a bike that fits, be it normal or WSD. Although if a dude shows up on a Santa Cruz Juliana, he'd better have some mad skills to back it up. But WSD bikes do help more women riders find bikes better suited to them. Don't give up on WSD bikes, study them and compare all the different geometery between the ones you like. Getting sized by your LBS would help a lot and they may be able to order or make the sale for you easier too. Some companies that are putting up strong bikes for the "better half" riders are Trek, Specialized, and Santa Cruz which is what my wife rides. I think Trek makes some hard tails too in WSD but don't quote me; most main stream companies are going to full suspension. Another great place to look are the classifieds here at mtbr.com. Good Luck!"

·
Registered
198 Posts
Hi! I have a giant atx 890 for sell, size xsmall (14.5 inches). It would fit your girlfriend no problem. Let me know if interested. It got disk brake, tubeless wheels, fox front suspension and it is in great shape. Price I ask is 400$ + shipping, so it's a bit over your budget but you get a good bike for your better haft (bought it at 2500$) :)

·
Premium Member
7,758 Posts
In that price range, used is your best bet, though smaller ones can be harder to find locally. That ^^ looks like an xtremdeal :thumbsup: , but just as a general suggestion for shopping used, if you are not familiar with the make & model, I always google it to get a feel for the original retail range, components, check the geometry/standover, etc.

·
Freeriding Feline
2,548 Posts
Used. I'd wait until you can spend a little more, then go used FS.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Stripes said:
Why wouldn't be ok to get a male geometry bike for a woman?
I have no idea as I am a new rider myself... I figured there must be some reason they exist. Sorry, must've overlooked the WSD section. I'll take her to a shop and try some bikes out, I suppose. I REFUSE to buy a bike from Wal-Mart or a big-box sports store, for that matter, by the way.

Xtremgirl... That sounds like a badass deal. Could you possibly e-mail some photos and specs to [email protected]?

G

·
Hi Josh,

I recently bought an all-mountain bike for my wife from Giant. She's new to riding and although I spent quite a lot for her first bike, I wanted her to like in her bike and have it inspire confidence on the trails. The bike I got her was a 2010 Giant Trance X4 (XS), she is 5'2 and I purchased it for $997USD which was $450 off retail price. If she doesn't end up liking mountain biking I could resell it for the same price I bought it for because I got it with a crazy deal.

That bike is out of your budget, but I highly recommend getting a good deal on a new bike, not used. Trust me, I could tell she appreciated it so much more (I was also searching for used bikes first). Most women don't understand mountain biking and bike value like we do. It's still a used bike.

The fundamental differences about WSD bikes are shorter top tubes, seat tubes, and standover height. This accomodates for the shorter arm reach, shorter legs and inseam height. If you can find a good deal on a XS men's bike then check the geometry compared to a WSD bike her size. This is why I opted for a men's bike in the end, the geometry was almost the same except for the longer top tube. To fix this I swapped out her stem for a shorter stem to bring the handlebars closer.

For bike recommendations I would suggest:
2011 Giant Revel 1 W (XS) - $510 (Womens)
2011 Giant Revel 1 (XS) - $510
2011 Giant Revel 2 (XS) - $390

You can probably find good deals on 2010 models or previous.

For cheaper you can look at the Giant Boulder series, but I wouldn't recommend it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
haha Busted Gemini!

Thanks for the reply, though. Giant looks like a viable option. We are going to the LBS this week to take a look at some bikes. Appreciate you tellin' me about the WSD thing, btw... Couldn't get a straight answer regarding that.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, I think it's probably best if I get her to ride several of them... The only thing I hate doing, though, is testing out a bunch of stuff and gathering information in a store with the intention of buying online. I mean, I may buy in the store but if I can get the same bike a lot cheaper online I'm going to do that. I've worked in retail sales and I HATED when customers would come in the store and spend FOREVER looking at cameras only to have them walk out saying that they are sure they can get a better deal online. It sucks when you work on commission and don't make the sale and a lot of bike shops do commission...

Oh well, we'll just have to see what happens when we go take a look. Like you said, Stripes, her liking it is the most important thing... Along with fit, of course.

·
Premium Member
7,758 Posts
Josh_Still28 said:
... The only thing I hate doing, though, is testing out a bunch of stuff and gathering information in a store with the intention of buying online. I mean, I may buy in the store but if I can get the same bike a lot cheaper online I'm going to do that. I've worked in retail sales and I HATED when customers would come in the store and spend FOREVER looking at cameras only to have them walk out saying that they are sure they can get a better deal online. It sucks when you work on commission and don't make the sale and a lot of bike shops do commission...
Yeah, that would suck.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
annamagpie said:
Gemini Industries said:
Most women don't understand mountain biking and bike value like we do
glad you are here on the women's lounge to clue us in. thanks! :D
Yes, I also enjoyed the natural assumption that someone who is a self-confessed newbie ("I have no idea as I am a new rider myself..") would have a natural and innate understanding of mountain biking and bike value. I'm guessing this is assumed because he is male.

Carry on, please... I'm fascinated.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You talkin' about me or Gemini? I'm the one who said "I have no idea as I am a new rider myself..." in reference to something that Stripes had said. However, I am not the one who made the comment about women not understanding the value of mountain bikes... I really don't know jack-sh*t about the value of mountain bikes so I definitely don't have a "natural and innate understanding of mountain biking and bike value." If you're talkin about Gemini, I think he apologized and rephrased that his wife didn't know the value of bikes...

P.S. Thanks for all the help everyone!

·
Bored Carp
1,596 Posts
Stripes said:
I'm personally not a fan of WSD, but it varies from person to person. When I've bought WSD in the past, it tends to be for a more lighter weight person (~100-120lbs) and they tend to have lesser quality components. However, it may be different now. I don't know at this point, as I've pretty much gone to a boutique dealer.
Weight consideration is rarely an issue in WSD spec and designing a bike for a 120# woman would be ridiculous - bike companies can't afford this kind of specialization in a production model. They may specify a shock that can be tuned for someone who weighs 120#, which would mean that it couldn't be tuned for a 200# person, but this range will also include women who weigh 150#. Weight is a consideration in high-end lightweight bike spec no matter what the intended gender. If a wheel has a 170# weight limit, it doesn't care if you are xy or xx.

- WSD bikes at lower price points do sometimes have lower-end components compared to unisex models, but this is a volume of sales issue, more than anything else. If a bike company orders 100 WSD component groups from the manufacturer, he will not get as good a price as if he orders 10 times as many for his unisex groups. The negotiating strength of an individual company can help to reduce this effect.

- Without consulting geometry charts, you can't know if WSD indicates top tube length, stem height or butterfly stickers. There is no consistency across the industry as to what makes a bike WSD and there is wide variation in definitions.

Cheers,
C

1 - 17 of 17 Posts