Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,261 Posts
Probably 98 with Hayes although it wasn't a standard yet and some DH bikes still had V brakes with no disc mounts. Frame disc mounts had several standards too then.

ETA My 97 Magura Gustavs were standard 6 bolt. I could only run the front because my Rocky Mountain DH TO had no rear disc tabs.

·
Administrator
12,433 Posts

·
Registered
7,261 Posts
If you can figure out when Chris King went from the DiscoTech hubs that accepted different rotor bolt patterns with removable adapters to the standard six bolt, that would narrow your question down.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
All of the bikes I looked at during the 95 worlds were six bolt and I had Magura and Sachs 6 bolt rotors in early 96. I think it took another 2 or three years before the distance from locknut to rotor on the hub was standardized, the same goes for position on the frame. Once you chose a frame and hub you then had to sort thru a myriad of adaptors.

·
Administrator
12,433 Posts
Looking at Hayes and the IS standard I found this:
PIONEERING TECHNOLOGY

In 1997, Hayes revolutionized the mountain bike industry with the introduction of the first hydraulic braking system. Since then, Hayes has remained committed to breakthrough design and performance. We are continuously testing and refining products to meet both the performance demands of riders and the need for brake reliability and serviceability - as demonstrated by these subsequent innovations: 1997:

• 360° bladder
  • Flip-flop design
  • Post mount standard
  • 6-bolt rotor standard
  • 6"-8" diameter standards

·
Phobia of petting zoos.
1,021 Posts
Looking at Hayes and the IS standard I found this:
Hayes seem to have conveniently forgotten the Shimano disc brakes made in 1974-75 for dragsters, models BC-200 and BC-300. Not saying they were brilliant, just that Hayes marketing appears to suffer from the amnesia that afflicts the industry when they go into their hyperbole about being innovators.

Grumps

PS: And there it is, 1001 posts... only one thing left to do now...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.