Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Due to my ignorance regarding brokerage fees, I have to shamefully admit that I've been raped by UPS and their ridiculous fees. The $400 fork I purchased off Ebay ended up costing me $140 in shipping/duty while the $60 rims I purchased cost me $90 in shipping/duty.

Yes... I know... USPS is the way to go. :(

But here's my question. Are shipping charges typically added into the declared value of an item ? It seems wrong to me but that's what happened on my last shipment.

And yes... I do support my LBS. These last 2 were an exception since I bought them used off of Ebay.

Ken.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Do you live close to the border? I live in Ontario and work in Ont. and Michigan so I get stuff shipped to work. There are businesses that you can ship your products to and then just go over and pick them up for a small handling fee. Then.....you can just bring them home and choose if you want to declare them and pay the 15 percent tax. It's cheaper this way instead of taking your chances w/ the brokerage fees and such.

·
some kind of hero...
543 Posts
spicytuna said:
Hi,

Due to my ignorance regarding brokerage fees, I have to shamefully admit that I've been raped by UPS and their ridiculous fees. The $400 fork I purchased off Ebay ended up costing me $140 in shipping/duty while the $60 rims I purchased cost me $90 in shipping/duty.

Yes... I know... USPS is the way to go. :(

But here's my question. Are shipping charges typically added into the declared value of an item ? It seems wrong to me but that's what happened on my last shipment.

And yes... I do support my LBS. These last 2 were an exception since I bought them used off of Ebay.

Ken.
Sorry to hear about your bad experiences :( .

The shipping charges are not subject to tax or brokerage fees, only the value of the goods. The SENDER can make your life difficult by over estimating the value of the goods - they may think it is a good thing for insurance claims... You will get screwed over when the broker gets ahold of the goods because they will use the claimed value to calculate their fees. In most cases if the sender has inappropriately claimed the value of goods, you can contact the broker, provide an invoice as proof, and have the charges reduced (good luck with that!). If you think the broker has made a mistake, they should offer to eat the charges (once UPS did that for me).

No matter how good the deal seems, if a seller will not ship USPS - look elsewhere. The only time you get a break is if the goods are valued at less than $25CDN - MOST carriers will let those go through. Once Fed Ex did charge me on a $20 item - wasn't my lucky day...

Cheers
:cool:

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replys.

I currently live in Calgary so travelling to the border isn't an option unfortunately.

It looks like it was actually UPS which screwed up my second order 'cause if the broker actually read the invoice, he would have noticed that I paid $35 per rim and $35 for shipping. Unfortunately, they just looked at what was charged against my credit card and used that as a declared value. :confused:

I've always had a hatred towards UPS ever since their driver left my IBM Netfinity server on my front lawn because he was too lazy to drag the 60lb server back to his depot while I was at work.

Well, in any event, I'll take this with a grain of salt and insist of USPS from now.

Thanks again to the replies.

Ken.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Welcome to the "I've been raped by UPS club". you should seriously consider making a complaint to the better business bureau. Those dishonest pricks charged me a $40 surcharge on a part that I only paid $5 for. Ther would have been no duty on the part if i used uspps

·
some kind of hero...
543 Posts
konaken said:
Thanks for the replys.

I currently live in Calgary so travelling to the border isn't an option unfortunately.

It looks like it was actually UPS which screwed up my second order 'cause if the broker actually read the invoice, he would have noticed that I paid $35 per rim and $35 for shipping. Unfortunately, they just looked at what was charged against my credit card and used that as a declared value. :confused:

I've always had a hatred towards UPS ever since their driver left my IBM Netfinity server on my front lawn because he was too lazy to drag the 60lb server back to his depot while I was at work.

Well, in any event, I'll take this with a grain of salt and insist of USPS from now.

Thanks again to the replies.

Ken.
Try calling UPS - don't give up easily. I was shocked when I wrote them a letter about a similar problem where they classified the goods incorrectly for duty, and they withdrew all of the charges... Maybe lightning doesn't strike twice, but its worth a try! I'd say you have better odds than winning the lottery and it might make you feel better to tell UPS what you think of their service...

Good luck!
:cool:

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,938 Posts
UPS/FedEx ONLY charges extra brokerage fees on ground/standard shipping. Stop being a cheap skate, spring for the expedited/express service, and the fees are included for free.

·
no shoes no shirt no dice
125 Posts
DeeEight said:
UPS/FedEx ONLY charges extra brokerage fees on ground/standard shipping. Stop being a cheap skate, spring for the expedited/express service, and the fees are included for free.
That is 100% true but often the large increase in price from ground to express service is just as much as the brokerage fees. So unless you want it fast you then you are not ahead any in the end.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.