Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a Trance 27.5 and it has the RS Monarch. Im thinking about upgrading to a Monarch Plus. The bike comes with a M/L tune, and the Monarch Plus has M/M. Would it be fine to do the upgrade, and will I see a difference in how the bike handles?

I weigh around 240lbs and I almost max out the psi (260) on the shock to give me the sag I want. Will I see a difference with the Monarch Plus and with the M/M tune? The bike only has 4 rides on it.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Rebound tune is all about the pressure you run in your air can.

For a 240lb rider, running a 260psi air spring pressure, you would benefit from a firmer rebound tune, so going from light to medium will be a good change. The additional shims in the rebound circuit will help control the stronger rebound from such a high can pressure. The higher the can pressure, the more work the rebound damper must do to control the air spring. If it is at 260psi static, its well over 500psi in there on bigger bumps.

The monarch plus has a larger oil volume, and that is a benefit on extended downhills where you are pushing the damper harder. Make sure you are getting the newest version of monarch plus, they have revised it every year. Its only sold m/m, so it can make sense to buy from a tuning shop if you need something different.

In your case though, I think the stock tune will be a good fit until rebuild time, when you have enough time on the bike to describe the valving changes you want.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I'm not sure, but I believe the second letter refers to the compression damping, and not the rebound damping as Marcus seems to infer? May not be a good comparison as I'm only 150lbs, but I have a M/M(standard volume) and a L/L4(high volume) for my Trance X. Regarding rebound, I found myself liking the adjuster right in the middle of the range on the M rebound shock. I have to run it full in on the L rebound shock. The problem I found for me with the M compression shock was that I would seem to get the rear wheel caught on rocks/roots while pedaling slowly uphill. The L4 tune seems to compress easier and not get slowed down in those same situations. I'm wondering how much the volume difference makes in that aspect also though.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I also think that the last letter is the compression damping. But anyway, my sag is always around 30 and above, which is where I dont wanna be. I want it around 25.

I had a short ride yesterday, and a longer one today. When I pump it up to 260 psi and check again it always go down to 250. I also checked after my rides this weekend, and the psi was below 250. I think around 220-230.

If I switch to Monarch Plus or RT3 with a different tune, will I see a difference in how the bike handles? Will there be any negative aspects to an upgrade? Thats my biggest concern.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
I currently have a Trance 27.5 and it has the RS Monarch. Im thinking about upgrading to a Monarch Plus. The bike comes with a M/L tune, and the Monarch Plus has M/M. Would it be fine to do the upgrade, and will I see a difference in how the bike handles?

I weigh around 240lbs and I almost max out the psi (260) on the shock to give me the sag I want. Will I see a difference with the Monarch Plus and with the M/M tune? The bike only has 4 rides on it.
I presume you have a low vol air can on the monarch so you can't add air spacer rings. I thought the stock shocks on the T 27.5 were shimmed to limit travel. In which case you may have trouble swapping out. In any case the monarch plus in theory should use it' s travel even easier especially if it has a high vol air can.

·
Banned
7,171 Posts
Kamao,
Depressurize your shock and pull the air can off. Check to see if your main air can seal is an o-ring or a quad ring. The older Monarchs have o-rings and they leak air. You can fix it pretty easily if you have a Fox air can service kit. Use the Fox quad ring, it works. I have it in two M+s and the air leakage stops, at least at 175psi.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Pay to also get your IFP pressure checked under warranty. Has it always been like this.
If it hasn't leaked much then get them to raise the IFP pressure . if it has leaked then it's going to need a strip down and bare minimum reset the IFP depth. If they are switched on they will also set the IFP depth up for your weight as well. You will find even if the seals are good the Ifp pressure wil leak down over a yaers riding and the shock will feel softer and sag more.

Up the comp tune to M or H will help when descending and drop outs[ not seated on g outs] but I suspect you are at the weight range where a custom tuned shock would be an advantage.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I presume you have a low vol air can on the monarch so you can't add air spacer rings. I thought the stock shocks on the T 27.5 were shimmed to limit travel. In which case you may have trouble swapping out. In any case the monarch plus in theory should use it' s travel even easier especially if it has a high vol air can.
Swapping out shouldnt be a problem. Ive seen many who swapped theirs for float x, monarch plus and even x-fusion.

My problem is that I live in Norway. We dont have any shops who could give me a custom tune, and I have no warranty because I bought the bike from a guy in the US.

I pumped it up to 260 last night. Ill check after work how much pressure is gone.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts