Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an original, hand-made, Fat Chance Mountain Bike.

The frame is double butted chromally, with the original handle bars, but it has new pedals, rear derailer, brakes, and rear sprocket. It is in excellent condition.

Can anyone tell me what this might be worth?

Does it have any 'collector' value?

·
Illuminati
1,730 Posts
the how much is it worth question does get asked quite a lot.
theres 2 schools of thought.. how much is it worth to you emotionally?
or as rumpfy might say.. stick it on ebay & let it ride :)

post the full parts spec, poss pics for a better (rough) valuation? :)

·
Registered
676 Posts
blb111 said:
I have an original, hand-made, Fat Chance Mountain Bike.

The frame is double butted chromally, with the original handle bars, but it has new pedals, rear derailer, brakes, and rear sprocket. It is in excellent condition.

Can anyone tell me what this might be worth?
blb111;

Congrats you are the owner of an original Fat Chance mountainbike!

With the information provided it is not possible to tell what it's worth. Even if you had provided pics and more specs it would still have been difficult to tell, as price heavily depends on who are in the market on the moment. You can get some indication of value by regularly checking eBay and see what compareable FATs go for.

Does it have any 'collector' value?
Yes, it has. You are not on a goldmine, but FAT definately has a loyal following.

There also is a Fat Chance board. visit FatCogs

·
Registered
263 Posts
Agree with the above.

Need info:
Size, Year, Color, Damage and/or Rust:

I still see some near mint condition frames going for close to the original sugg retail on e-bay.

I've been offered more than I paid for my first 88 Yo Eddy. Seems like the pre-Serrotta frames with the "Do Not Tread" decal, the pully for the bottom pull front der, and the original chain suck thingies are worth the most money.

Although I think that no true self-respecting Fat Chance owner would part with his/her bike :p

pic of my first Eddy - soon to be a rigid SS

Attachments

·
i like to bicycle
335 Posts
Man...

i had that same paint job on my first FAT shock-a-billy. makes me sad. it's gone now and honestly wasn't that great of a bike with the AMP B-2 rear end.

i'm gearing up to post some pics of my final generation s-billy. just to share. i'm keeping my FAT forever.

·
Registered
508 Posts
1988 Yo Eddy?

JamR said:
"I've been offered more than I paid for my first 88 Yo Eddy. Seems like the pre-Serrotta frames with the "Do Not Tread" decal, the pully for the bottom pull front der, and the original chain suck thingies are worth the most money."

I thought the Yo Eddy came out in 1990's ? The Anti chain suck things were on the 1993 and later models as Info.

Maybe a typo or something?

All the best

-JS-
Owner of a 1992 Yo Eddy with team fork.

·
Registered
263 Posts
SS Jerry said:
JamR said:
"I've been offered more than I paid for my first 88 Yo Eddy. Seems like the pre-Serrotta frames with the "Do Not Tread" decal, the pully for the bottom pull front der, and the original chain suck thingies are worth the most money."

I thought the Yo Eddy came out in 1990's ? The Anti chain suck things were on the 1993 and later models as Info.

Maybe a typo or something?

All the best

-JS-
Owner of a 1992 Yo Eddy with team fork.
I guess we're both close. 1989 was the first year for the Yo, and I ordered it in late 1988.

Originally had it in all lime green, and sent it to Chris in 1994 for a re-weld of the down-tube at the head-tube, and a seatpost extraction for a post that was thoroughly seized in place.

Along with the repair, I had it re-powdercoated (Aquamarine Fade), and had the toothpicks and the pully for the front der added.

With the 1" head tube and non suspension corrected geometry, I'm reviving it as a rigid SS.

If I can find a complete set of the proper color decals, I would like to have a local paint shop do a new matched powdercoat.

I got my 2nd Yo in 1997 to run a 1 1/8" fork and a little more travel.

I would never part with either of them. They are the ultimate hardtail.

·
Registered
676 Posts
JamR said:
I guess we're both close. 1989 was the first year for the Yo, and I ordered it in late 1988.

Originally had it in all lime green, and sent it to Chris in 1994 for a re-weld of the down-tube at the head-tube, and a seatpost extraction for a post that was thoroughly seized in place.

Along with the repair, I had it re-powdercoated (Aquamarine Fade), and had the toothpicks and the pully for the front der added.

With the 1" head tube and non suspension corrected geometry, I'm reviving it as a rigid SS.

If I can find a complete set of the proper color decals, I would like to have a local paint shop do a new matched powdercoat.

I got my 2nd Yo in 1997 to run a 1 1/8? fork and a little more travel.

Nice frame. I also have an Aquafade Yo (see signature). Sometimes when I see older Aquafade FATs it looks like the blue is a shade darker. BTW is yours clearcoated? I recently read not all FATs are clearcoated. Would like to learn what years are.

You consider repaint. Not worried to lose patina?

·
those are Rollercams...
1,894 Posts
Errrr....

JamR said:

I got my 2nd Yo in 1997 to run a 1 1/8” fork and a little more travel.

I'm pretty sure the Yo made it's first appearance in 1990 which is when I bought my Wicked. I remember holding out for the Yo as long as I could and then pulling the trigger on the Wicked when I couldn't wait any longer.

·
acoustic motorbike
168 Posts
WTB-rider said:
I'm pretty sure the Yo made it's first appearance in 1990 which is when I bought my Wicked. I remember holding out for the Yo as long as I could and then pulling the trigger on the Wicked when I couldn't wait any longer.
There are no Yo Eddys before 1990 in the Fat Cogs frame registry. Pre-1990, there were Team Comps, but no Yo Eddys. The first Yo Eddy in the registry is 1991, along with the first Wicked Lite. Recently, one appeared with a frame number that would make it a 1990, but it hasn't been confirmed yet. We have over 125 bikes in the registry, so it isn't a be-all, end-all for frame references, but it is a pretty good cross section. Most Fat guys acknowledge 1990-1991 as the first Yo Eddy, but I don't know if anyone knows exactly when the first one was sold.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Did some research. Went to Fat Cogs Mag Scan topic. In the MBA July89 interview Chris doesn't say a word on the Yo!, in the Oct90 issue MBA tested the NEW Yo Eddy!

Went to mtb-kataloge.de. The Yo! is featured in the 1990 catalogue. FirstFlight is mentioning '89 as the year of introduction for the Yo!

I would say the Yo Eddy is introduced late '89.

BTW I also remember a clip on the new Yo Eddy! somewhere on a bikeshow. Think it should be on this forum or the German vintage forum.

·
Registered
263 Posts
It was a while ago, but I'm pretty sure I pre-ordered my first Yo in late 88 after learning about the new frame form a LBS; and received in 89. It took around 5 months if I remember.

I should look for the fold-over card that came with it. I have it somewhere in my attic. It came with all the workers signatures on it. I think I still have the Fat Chance catalog that came with it also.

I'm pretty sure it was introduced on the market in 89.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Picture of 1992 Yo Eddy

[QOwner of a 1992 Yo Eddy with team fork.[/QUOTE]

I love this bike, I bought it new in 1992. It was black, but I had it repainted last year by Russ Pickins who clear coated the decals on this one. His work is the best.

JS

Attachments

·
Registered
263 Posts
SS Jerry said:
[QOwner of a 1992 Yo Eddy with team fork.
I love this bike, I bought it new in 1992. It was black, but I had it repainted last year by Russ Pickins who clear coated the decals on this one. His work is the best.

JS[/QUOTE]

Sweet!! Nice fade on the paint job.

I'm still shopping for a set of decals for my bare frame. If I can find a yellow set, I plan on having a local shop match the Aquamarine fade. If I get ahold of a black and silver set, I plan on going all yellow.

The last time that Fat re-painted my frame, the decals were clear coated.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.