Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Background on this issue. In Winter of 2017-2018, I left the bike in a cold garage (previously it was stored inside), when I looked closely at it in January, the forks seem to be compressed and stuck that way. In March, I had a LBS look at it, they indicated the fluid had inverted in the fork.

I am mechanically inclined and am in the process of rebuilding that same fork. The air side went great. On the damper, I replaced all the seals. On the rebound piston, there is a single metal ring (similar to a piston ring). Should there be more to this seal than that single ring? The rebuild kit came with a replacement, but seems bigger than the one that came with it I am going to double check this tomorrow.

I am likely over-thinking this, but I wanted to make sure that this is correct before I add the oil.

Thanks for any insight on this.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update...I took the chance and re-used the original single ring that was on the rebound piston. The one that came with the rebuild kit was definitely too big for the piston. The rebound seems to behave correctly.

·
Read Only
2,101 Posts
That is fine to re use the glide ring, in future the key is to curl up the glide ring on itself before installing it and it will clip on to the piston better. It’s oversized so it can spring out and seal against the inside of the tube

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the response. When I tried to fit the new one, the ends seems to stick out and that concerned me. Your suggestion makes sense and I will try that the next time. I appreciate it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.