Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am buying a Stumpjumper FSR Comp and had a question about the FC-M542 crankset that comes with it. I recently installed a SLX crankset on my Hardrock and was considering swapping it over to the Stumpjumper. What level is the FC-M542? I know it is a non-series Shimano OEM part. Is my SLX crankset a better setup than the stock Stumpy piece? Is it worth swapping over? I hear that the SLX crank is lighter. Should I also swap the bottom bracket?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
605 Posts
Just looking at Shimano's site, they appear to be Deore, or very close to them. I'm not sure what is "custom" about them. This would meant that SLX would be an upgrade.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I suspected that they were part of the Deore line. I think they should weigh a bit more than the SLX cranks. I may have the dealer just swap them before I take the bike home. Any other thoughts?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I swapped the stock crankset on my Epic Comp - same as on the Stumpjumper - for an XT. From memory, the FC-M542 with bottom bracket weighed about 960g.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
madderthanmax said:
I swapped the stock crankset on my Epic Comp - same as on the Stumpjumper - for an XT. From memory, the FC-M542 with bottom bracket weighed about 960g.
I believe the SLX crankset weighs about 880g. I'll be swapping them over then. Besides I think the SLX cranks look way cooler.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts