Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Bikesexual
7,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, I apologize if the answer is buried somewhere in the forum!

I'm new to the sport and signed up for Strava and downloaded it to my Android. Due to weather I haven't been able to ride.

The question i,s does the phone need to have a connection in order for strava to pick up my signal and track me?

I'm also planning to throw it in my camelback - I would imagine everyone does that? Thanks!! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
443 Posts
Don't need a signal but does need GPS of course so don't put it in airplane mode. The further down in your camelbak you put the phone the worse the GPS signal will be so try to put it somewhere near the outside with the least amount of things in the way.

·
since 4/10/2009
31,515 Posts
if you want to view maps, you'll need a data connection for map downloads.

But just for GPS tracking, no. All you need is for the GPS to be enabled.

·
Bikesexual
7,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you gentlemen - I appreciate it :)

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Put it in an outside pocked of your pack or risk losing signal. I use the sunglass pocket located at the top of the pack.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Don't need a signal but does need GPS of course so don't put it in airplane mode. The further down in your camelbak you put the phone the worse the GPS signal will be so try to put it somewhere near the outside with the least amount of things in the way.
I run mine in airplane mode all the time to save battery when I am riding outside of cell service. No issues recording my rides at all. Don't know if it matters from phone to phone. Definitely put the phone at the top area of the backpack for best signal.

·
Bikesexual
7,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes my pack has a pocket that wont bury the phone so I should be good to go. The airplane mode, I definite have to test, I'm sure it varies by phone.

Again, I appreciate your replies.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts