Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
SHRED!
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!

Been playing around a lot lately with my forks. Figure it's cheaper to just keep making the suspension better than pony up for a slightly newer bike.

I've got Rockshock Pikes. I've done a few upgrades to them recently, and the two provided some interesting results I want to discuss.

I started with redoing my charger 1 damper as part of the 200 hour service. I revalved it per the Rockshox direction for a firmer feel. Welp, I went for a ride and when the going is smooth flowy bermed out trail, it feels great! Takes big hits excellent, feels really confident cornering, definitely helped me take it up a notch for speed and confidence. Unfortunately, that firm valving adjustment left my arms feeling beat to heck when the going got rough.

So... a few weeks later I'm looking at all the fancy new bikes as usual... pondering if I want to bother... and as usual I settle on just getting an upgrade for my bike. I went with the Rockshox Charger 2.1 damper upgrade on my bike.

Right off the bat, this fork feels epic. Such good "small bump compliance" and it just feels really great off the bottom. Hit my usual jumps and drops area and it soaked that all up great as well. Feels great.

Cornering... I'm not feeling it as much. The front feels vague and I feel like I often run wider on turns. Perhaps it's that small bump compliance soaking up my input, or just me not trusting the tire since I don't get the same feel as I do with a firm fork.

Whatever the story... it's improved in one regard, and doesn't feel as confidence inspiring in other categories.

What are others experiences with such stuff?

·
Registered
11,850 Posts
Charger 2.1 RC2 has an extremely soft shim stack. The polar opposite of your Charger 1. It lacks support for hard riders.

Adding more HSC will give the LSC more usable range (but also have some other effects you may not like).

·
Registered
230 Posts
Somewhat new to biking so have been going back and forth getting my suspension set up this year. I ended up preferring the firm feeling setup that, though it may not make minor features disappear and feel like a pillow, will provide the support in the rough stuff when you really need it.

·
SHRED!
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Settings and upgrades of the fork:

• 140mm pike A2.
  • Debonair upgrade on air spring side
  • 3x air volume spacers/tokens
  • RCT3 2.1 charger damper
  • 90psi
  • 6 clicks out on rebound.
  • All the way out on LSC

No high speed compression adjustability, it's just open, pedal, firm.

I wish I had the LSC/HSC damper, but it wasn't an option for install into the Pike A2 to my understanding.

Thanks for your help again. You chatted with me on my last post about the 10w oil in my charger 1 damper. With the stiffer shim shack on that puppy it shredded great and provided amazing cornering feel and confidence, but it was just beating me up on mixed condition trails.

·
Registered
11,850 Posts
Settings and upgrades of the fork:

• 140mm pike A2.
  • Debonair upgrade on air spring side
  • 3x air volume spacers/tokens
  • RCT3 2.1 charger damper
  • 90psi
  • 6 clicks out on rebound.
  • All the way out on LSC

No high speed compression adjustability, it's just open, pedal, firm.

I wish I had the LSC/HSC damper, but it wasn't an option for install into the Pike A2 to my understanding.

Thanks for your help again. You chatted with me on my last post about the 10w oil in my charger 1 damper. With the stiffer shim shack on that puppy it shredded great and provided amazing cornering feel and confidence, but it was just beating me up on mixed condition trails.
I haven't bee into a C2.1 RCT3 yet so don't know what the tune is. On the C2 RCT3 the pedal mode mostly closes LSC to force oil into a hydraulic cup that preloads the shims. It's an ugly thing to tune.
The lock mode completely closes LSC and diverts all oil pressure to the preload cup.

It's a system that is good for lockout but not much else.

·
Read Only
2,101 Posts
Possibly a few too many variables to be able to pinpoint a cause, I think you might be on to something when you say you aren’t weighting the front as much as you were with the firmer tune

Usually soft LSC presents as “tucking” ie the opposite problem

·
SHRED!
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Possibly a few too many variables to be able to pinpoint a cause, I think you might be on to something when you say you aren't weighting the front as much as you were with the firmer tune

Usually soft LSC presents as "tucking" ie the opposite problem
Okay, "tucking" may be kind of what I am feeling. I feel like if I try and turn at full speed, the front is going to tuck, and so I wind up running wider than I'd like to avoid it.

I'll try and add more LSC. Going to be shredding at Tline for their bike park opening monday. Should be fun!

·
SHRED!
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I took out a click of rebound / sped it up / turned clockwise just to see.

I hit up the Timberline Bike Park opening yesterday. Pretty much all well groomed trails with flowy berms for miles. I started my day all the way out on LSC, and it felt vague and not confidence inspiring. Added a few more clicks, couldn't tell the difference. Added a few more clicks, and it started to feel better and provide feedback that had me feeling like I had grip. That said, started tiring my arms out a bit more when I got off the flowy stuff and into some of the more chewed up or technical stuff.

Now I don't feel like I'm riding anything different than my original charger setup, but at least I'm in the middle of the clicks for LSC so I feel like I can play around with the settings to get what I want.

·
Bodhisattva
10,848 Posts

I hit up the Timberline Bike Park opening yesterday. Pretty much all well groomed trails with flowy berms for miles. I started my day all the way out on LSC, and it felt vague and not confidence inspiring. Added a few more clicks, couldn't tell the difference. Added a few more clicks, and it started to feel better and provide feedback that had me feeling like I had grip. That said, started tiring my arms out a bit more when I got off the flowy stuff and into some of the more chewed up or technical stuff.

Now I don't feel like I'm riding anything different than my original charger setup, but at least I'm in the middle of the clicks for LSC so I feel like I can play around with the settings to get what I want.
That fork can be finicky. If you can't get it where you like, strongly consider the Push industries hypercharger kit and ACS3. Lots of good info can be easily found on this forum and via external websites.

I highly recommend it.

·
Registered
11,850 Posts

So what you'll find now is the stock foibles of the Charger 2 dampers. The mid-valve makes them feel harsh when you dial in enough LSC to give support.

The only way to fix that (so you can gain support without harshness) is with custom tuning.

·
SHRED!
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Huh. Interesting. Explains the bit of harshness I'm feeling. Feels less harsh but also less supportive than my Charger 1 damper with the firmer valving (per the manual shim stack for firmer) however.

I wonder if I can just order a brand new fork fully valve and setup for me and my weight from a suspension entity instead of sending them mine in. I wouldn't object to a freshly built fork devoid of any unknown history.

·
Registered
11,850 Posts
I wonder if I can just order a brand new fork fully valve and setup for me and my weight from a suspension entity instead of sending them mine in. I wouldn't object to a freshly built fork devoid of any unknown history.
Yes you could. But there are a limited number of places worldwide that can do that properly.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.