Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I ride a Hard Tail 19" frame and had a question about riding rock garden comprising of switch backs. On the trail that I ride regularly there is a certain section of rock garden that has considerable ascents and descents. My bike handles the descents quite well but it is the ascents that have been troubling me.
As rocks are stern all around the track, I have to carefully navigate and find a path of least resistance. However, as I am climbing to, a hit on the a rock and my front wheel goes free. It no longer is staying put on the ground. This make it all the more difficult for me to control the bike and eventually have to stop and get off it. I normally climb sitting down and sit on the front edge of the seat so as to shift my weight to the front wheel. This is still not helping me navigate this section of the trail successfully.
Any help in this regard should help me tackle the trail better.
Thanks in advance

·
Purveyor of Trail Tales!
1,189 Posts
Check these resources!

weekdaywarrior said:
Hello,
I ride a Hard Tail 19" frame and had a question about riding rock garden comprising of switch backs. On the trail that I ride regularly there is a certain section of rock garden that has considerable ascents and descents. My bike handles the descents quite well but it is the ascents that have been troubling me.
As rocks are stern all around the track, I have to carefully navigate and find a path of least resistance. However, as I am climbing to, a hit on the a rock and my front wheel goes free. It no longer is staying put on the ground. This make it all the more difficult for me to control the bike and eventually have to stop and get off it. I normally climb sitting down and sit on the front edge of the seat so as to shift my weight to the front wheel. This is still not helping me navigate this section of the trail successfully.
Any help in this regard should help me tackle the trail better.
Thanks in advance
Hi,

These resources will help with switchbacks:

Look at the first video clip from this site entitled "How to Ride Switchbacks":
http://www.bikeskills.com/videoclips.htm

Get this book:
Mastering Mountain Bike Skills by Brian Lopes & Lee McCormick:
http://www.amazon.com/Mastering-Mou..._bbs_sr_1/105-1867855-6974841?ie=UTF8&s=books

Both of them are excellent and will help with other required skills as well!

Have fun,

Michael:thumbsup:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.