1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
Put the 8mm bolt back in, maybe put a bit of grease on the outside flange.
Put the 10mm ring back in, torqued correctly.
Wind the 8mm bolt out and it will butt up against the ring and remove the crank arm as you go.

Race Face
Q: Do I require a special removal tool for my X -type cranks?
A: No, you do not. There is no "tool" other than that the "puller-cap" already installed on your drive arm that will do all the work for you.
*There is no need for the 10mm cap to be removed for the installation/removal process at any point.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Put the 8mm bolt back in, maybe put a bit of grease on the outside flange.
Put the 10mm ring back in, torqued correctly.
Wind the 8mm bolt out and it will butt up against the ring and remove the crank arm as you go.

Race Face
Q: Do I require a special removal tool for my X -type cranks?
A: No, you do not. There is no "tool" other than that the "puller-cap" already installed on your drive arm that will do all the work for you.
*There is no need for the 10mm cap to be removed for the installation/removal process at any point.
Thanks for taking the time to post that, and not bashing on me for not finding out the obvious from manufacturers website! Now I feel dumb and enlightened at the same time! ;-)

·
Registered
291 Posts
It took me a while to figure this out as well. I was in the process of identifying a creek in my BB or cranks so disassembly was a must. After it was all said and done Its actually a very simple process and a pretty nifty design if you ask me. So... I resolved the creek but in the process I broke the bearing dust cover while trying to remove it to check the bearings. Then I was checking the chainring bolts on my 3x and on the last outer bolt I was checking it turned as soon as I applied the slightest pressure and snapped.. So I decide to call it quits for the day and reinstall everything now that it has been cleaned, lubed and broken..

So while I was attempting to reinstall my crank arm the bolt sheared off..
I have looked online for a few replacements and there are a few options for the chainring bolt. I am not sure wich one I need. I do not have calipers to measure the length and I am not sure if the crank bolts are basically the same. k ow I need the pre 08 xc.. This exact one but everyone is out of stock.

But then there are these.

I plan to buy a new crankset.. I was going to swap this to a 1x9 with a NW chainring and then pick up the stuff to do a 1x11 this winter and eventually a cinch style crank. Can anyone please help me figure out my options.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.