Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I tried the search & didn't find the exact answer to my question, perhaps someone can help.

On my '04 Haro X2 it came w/ a Fox Vanilla R rear shock. Length (from what I measure) is the 7.875" & I think it's 2.25 stroke...didn't really measure, just going off memory. The bike is adjustable 5~6" travel.

My question is, can a longer shock be fitted? I saw an Vanilla RC going real cheap & thought it would be a good upgrade, but it's a little longer 8.5" x 2.5" stroke.

Would any shock I would replace the Vanilla R with have to be the same size? Hope that's not to vague of a question.

Thx,

Mark

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
My understanding

From what I can gather, you need to replace the shock with another with identical e2e and stroke. I'm sure others will be along soon to share their thoughts, but I'm pretty sure this is the case.

Bob

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
Probably not. The extra length of the shock body will change the geometry at the least and the longer stroke might cause parts to hit in places they should not.

Continue to look for the correct size

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
SSINGA said:
Probably not. The extra length of the shock body will change the geometry at the least and the longer stroke might cause parts to hit in places they should not.

Continue to look for the correct size
Thx for the replies guys. That answers my questions. Im not neccessarily in need of a new shock, but if/when the time came to replace/upgrade I wasn't sure what to look for.

Thx!

Mark

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
Won't work.

kramonut said:
Hi there,

I tried the search & didn't find the exact answer to my question, perhaps someone can help.

On my '04 Haro X2 it came w/ a Fox Vanilla R rear shock. Length (from what I measure) is the 7.875" & I think it's 2.25 stroke...didn't really measure, just going off memory. The bike is adjustable 5~6" travel.

My question is, can a longer shock be fitted? I saw an Vanilla RC going real cheap & thought it would be a good upgrade, but it's a little longer 8.5" x 2.5" stroke.

Would any shock I would replace the Vanilla R with have to be the same size? Hope that's not to vague of a question.

Thx,

Mark
I have an '04 Haro Werks, same frame as yours. It definitely won't take a longer i2i shock than 7.875...I've futzed with mine. You might check your Fox R's stroke by removing the spring to see what yours is actually producing. That frame has a 3:1 ratio, and my understanding is that the OEM shocks on them are 2" stroke...mine is 2" stroke. Also I know that some have installed a 7.875 X 2.25 shock and had the tire contact the seat tube/seatpost. I also know that a customer came into our shop and bought an older Fox RC we had off an older Bullit that was a 7.875 X 2.25 shock. This guy hasn't had a problem with contact that he has reported to us. There may be variables going on here like certain frame sizes being capable of running a 2.25 stroke or people running too stiff a spring on a 2.25 stroke shock that prohibits that bottomout contact. Check your shock stroke to see exactly what you have there. Post the results and let us know.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
TNC said:
I have an '04 Haro Werks, same frame as yours. It definitely won't take a longer i2i shock than 7.875...I've futzed with mine. You might check your Fox R's stroke by removing the spring to see what yours is actually producing. That frame has a 3:1 ratio, and my understanding is that the OEM shocks on them are 2" stroke...mine is 2" stroke. Also I know that some have installed a 7.875 X 2.25 shock and had the tire contact the seat tube/seatpost. I also know that a customer came into our shop and bought an older Fox RC we had off an older Bullit that was a 7.875 X 2.25 shock. This guy hasn't had a problem with contact that he has reported to us. There may be variables going on here like certain frame sizes being capable of running a 2.25 stroke or people running too stiff a spring on a 2.25 stroke shock that prohibits that bottomout contact. Check your shock stroke to see exactly what you have there. Post the results and let us know.
Interesting. I will look into it & post back. The 2.25" number could be a mistake as I didn't actually measure, but I'll double check.

FWIW, when I had a 500# spring on there I bottomed out & ripped a small bag right off from under my seat. Had my post been any lower I think it wouldve contacted the seat. Since putting on a 700# spring & switching to the 5" setting I haven't had any problems though. This is w/ a small size frame (yet it still feels big to me).

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
Frame size...No kidding.

kramonut said:
Interesting. I will look into it & post back. The 2.25" number could be a mistake as I didn't actually measure, but I'll double check.

FWIW, when I had a 500# spring on there I bottomed out & ripped a small bag right off from under my seat. Had my post been any lower I think it wouldve contacted the seat. Since putting on a 700# spring & switching to the 5" setting I haven't had any problems though. This is w/ a small size frame (yet it still feels big to me).
Yeah, these frames are relatively huge for their respective size labels.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.