Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
image.jpg image(1).jpg

Hey all!

New to the forums - Just a quick question with the new bike I purchased (Trek Stache 6) I re-installed the rear wheel due to removing it to get it into my car. With the rear quick release being inserted inside the side with the hydraulic brakes, and then screwing into the chain side, part of the threads are sticking out. I'm curious if this is normal, as the quick release seems to have closed properly, although I'm unsure if I have installed it back correctly.

Any input would be helpful, thanks! Pictures posted above show the one side with the quick release and then the other side with the threads!

Thanks a ton!

Shane.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it's fine as long as the QR lever is actually gripping.. but I have to admit that does seem like a larger than normal amount of threads showing...:skep:
That's what I thought, it's brand new, and I'll be honest I'm a little inexperienced, It feels as though the quick release is gripping.

·
Trail Tire TV on blogger
4,237 Posts
well, I'd probably make sure.. just release the QR lever.. and see if you can just spin it in to tighten.. if you get a couple rotations then the threads aren't bottoming out and you're all set.

One note with Quick release that help keep things aligned.. when you go to do the actual flip of the lever, lean over the bike seat and put a bit of pressure straight down... the lever force can often times jock the wheel ever so slightly out of the base of the frame's seat, will help keep those annoying brake rubs down and keep the cassette aligned to the frame so you don't get weird shifting.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks a ton for the advice, it's really appreciated, I have unscrewed it to the point where the threads are not showing, although at that point, the quick release wont catch.

I haven't even taken it out, but I'm pretty excited, just need to put together an emergency maintenance and repair kit!

What do you ride Thom?

·
Trail Tire TV on blogger
4,237 Posts
Thanks a ton for the advice, it's really appreciated, I have unscrewed it to the point where the threads are not showing, although at that point, the quick release wont catch.
no screw it in. tighten it with the nut .. to the point where it's sorta tight without having the flip the QR.. if you can do that your fine.

I haven't even taken it out, but I'm pretty excited, just need to put together an emergency maintenance and repair kit!

What do you ride Thom?
a 2010 Voodoo Canzo 29er :)

10151776_763508410335653_1038566739_n.jpg

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
no screw it in. tighten it with the nut .. to the point where it's sorta tight without having the flip the QR.. if you can do that your fine.

a 2010 Voodoo Canzo 29er :)

View attachment 888851
That's a sick bike, using the quick release lever, I tightened it back up to the point where the lever is able to flip closed, although any tighter and I wont be able to close the lever. Threads still showing, I don't think I will worry about it.

Just because Im curious, what do you normally carry on you when you hit the trail?

·
Trail Tire TV on blogger
4,237 Posts
pump, shock pump(more cuz I'm still playing with air settings in the rear shock), tube, TopPeak Hexus2 tool, (been through tons of other brands, it's the only one that works well everywhere on the bike) a rag, chain quick link for chain/drivetrain issues.. water!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts