Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
I hate rock gardens
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a way to sort of semi permanently glue them into place? I was going to use contact cement or something not so permanent for when I wear the tires out.

Reason I want to do this, is I swap out tires on the rims a couple times a week. I have hybrid Kenda Kross's for asphalt when I don';t feel like packing everything up for a half hour drive to get to the trails, and Panaracers for the trails. Every time I take the Panaracers off, the puncture liners fall out, move around and are a general pain in my maximus glutimus...

·
Dirt Abuser
829 Posts
If you can, get yourself a cheap set of rims, then you just need to swap them when you ride street. I did that quite a few years ago and it saves a lot of time. No need to worry about the rim liner... You may want to go to the lbs and get a new liner. They usually fit tight on the rim.

·
I hate rock gardens
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not a rim liner my friend. The puncture liners that go between the tire and tube. :thumbsup:

I am way too cheap to get an extra set of rims...

Then I need brake discs, another cassette and pretty soon I am up to $400...

That ain't gonna happen. :thumbsup:

·
I hate rock gardens
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
markf said:
buy an extra set of liners? or don't use them? what conditions do you ride in that you feel you need them, even on the road?
Here is what I am talking about. I think I may have not worded what I wanted correctly.

The conditions I ride on have thorns that have punctured clean through my friends tire, little micro stumps, sharp rocks, roots etc...standard single track stuff in Wisconsin and abroad. I do not have my road bike anymore. I am also 6 blocks away from a 70 mile paved asphalt DNR trail that used to be an old railroad track. Being so close, I ride that quite a bit on my mtb, therefore I use hybrid style slicks so I don't wear out my trail tires. When I go off road, I swap out my tires to my trail tires. They have puncture liners in them for the conditions of the trail.

I want to keep the liners from moving around when I CHANGE tires out but do not want to permanently secure them in there. I would like to be able to remove them when the tires wear out. They were fairly expensive ($18 IIRC) and if they are in good shape, I am not going to needlessly buy another set of them. I don't need an extra set of liners either.

·
I Void Waranties
541 Posts
double sided tape? you get thoese that are as thick as normal scotts tape

·
I hate rock gardens
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Double sided tape.:madman: Wow am I a dumba$$. That's the ticket right there.

You don't know the thought I have put into this, and then someone comes in and gives me the "no brainer of the century"

I owe you a beer friend.:thumbsup: :D

·
Registered
8,669 Posts
It's actually a pretty good question, as I know those things do not like to stay centered when you install them. I'm thinking that if you go into a hobby store, like Michaels, you can find "repositionable adhesive" in a spray can. It's goo-ey stuff that I think would be strong enough to keep the liner relatively still during installation, and would stay sticky for several weeks of sticking in and peeling off unless you got a lot of dirt on it.
Most importantly, it would allow the liner to grow and stretch as the tire was inflated, which would not be the case with a more permanent adhesive.

·
Registered
8,669 Posts
Just saw the double sided tape post. Yeah I guess that would work too. :)
The repositionable adhesive I mentioned is kind of like the sticky stuff that's on tape anyway.

·
I hate rock gardens
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
See, that was initially my thought as well, but did not know if any of that stuff would react with the rubber in the tire, (like model cement that melts the plastic to form a bond) hence my inquisition of contact cement. I know that is rubber safe stuff. I never gave it a thought that the tire would swell and probably pull at the tape.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts